diy solar

diy solar

240 split phase vs 230v European inverter and US split phase devices

If I wanted an offgrid 240v breaker panel ONLY (in U.S.) for my two mini splits and well pump which are all two ungrounded conductors and a ground wire. In this example, the panel will be fed from a Victron EU 230/240v inverter and never connected to grid AC IN.

If the inverter supports it (e.g. dynamic neutral bonding), I'd want a 240V input connection that could be fed by generator for backup. If the generator supports 240V single phase L to N, no special care needed, but if 120/240V split-phase, would want the inverter to disconnect it's internal N-G bond and treat the two input wires as L1 & L2.

I wouldn't even think of setting up a European 240v (L,N,G) system, in North America.
Too much to have to be careful about. You have to make sure that the appliances are ok for it. And always remember that it's not a standard system.
You don't want to forget that, in the future. And add or change an appliance. That isn't compatible with the European system.
It's just too easy to do it correctly. Why even bother with all of the issues.

If the inverter supports it (e.g. dynamic neutral bonding), I'd want a 240V input connection that could be fed by generator for backup. If the generator supports 240V single phase L to N, no special care needed, but if 120/240V split-phase, would want the inverter to disconnect it's internal N-G bond and treat the two input wires as L1 & L2.
I don't know why they wear out, if the 240v single phase iverter is already working in the USA split phase standard, the sun gtil2 has been around for a long time!!! They put L1 and L2 in the manual, but the first identical ones said L and N..... the real problem is that you have to adapt ct to them, so that they add the currents of L1 and l2, and thus the generated field cancels the consumption (and those 2 ct is already an old case, the solution)

Back