diy solar

diy solar

pros vs cons of going split phase off grid

sunsurfer

Solar Addict
I working on my next solar system. My current 12v will be EMP wrapped and the 24v system dedicated for the well. Next systems will be 48v. I'm looking at a 5KW ish size inverter. I'm running a 2.8KW LF inverter right now and it is plenty. The 5K will allow for things like vacuuming while cooking. Not necessary but a slight increase in convienence. There will be 3 48v systems, one for each cabins(2 cabings) and a backup system.

I notice allot of people go with dual inverters and split phase off-grid and I'm trying to figure out why it is necessary or if its even a good idea. I would love to here why its done.

I do want to be able to run my tig welder on 240v but I was thinking of just getting a dedicated 48v single phase unit vs using split phase.

?What they said.

If you do decide to go with 240V split phase for the welder, there are single inverters that output 120/240v. You don't need to have 2 separate inverters with all the extra set up and cabling between them.

Neighbor had 120V only. When he wanted an inverter to run his well pump, he got this one:

Only turns it on when he needs it.
Does anyone know who makes those inverters? I have an aims 24v 4KW, looks just like it.

Personally, I installed split phase so that I could run a (heat pump) electric clothes dryer. There are also some 240v water heaters that I've looked at and it's nice to have the option if I decide to use one.

Personally, I installed split phase so that I could run a (heat pump) electric clothes dryer. There are also some 240v water heaters that I've looked at and it's nice to have the option if I decide to use one.

I did split phase because it simplifies the wiring for my two Victron 120V inverters in parallel split phase. If I put them in parallel single phase, I have to pay very close attention to my wiring.

I chose split-phase because I wanted as many loads as possible on 240v.
240v is more efficient and cost-effective.
Even before I went solar. I always chose the 240v version, if available.

IMO our cabin is so lightly loaded I can’t forsee needing 240v ever.

Propane hot water, propane stove, no dryer or washer, no well pump (DC diaphragm pump). If we ever get a mini split it’ll just be 120v.

Phase 1 will be a 3k M+, if we need more capacity I’ll add another M+.

This is a 3 season camp with weekend and maybe 4-5 day usage at max.

I did 240v/120v US split-phase because it ties (directly, easily) into my home wiring with a variety of 120v and 240v circuits. On the 240v side I have cooktop, dryer, oven, heat-pump water heater, house heat-pump, rainharvest system (240v water pump and UV light/controller was a little bit cheaper than 120v).

Last edited:
I'm amazed at some off-grid systems. My budget is a bit smaller so we down sized when we went off grid. We have done very well. My only must have is AC. 120v small mini splits make it easy.

Sigineer - who makes AIMS
Thanks eggo! Im curious how reliable they are. I have an AIMS 24v 4K 120v and use it for my well. Only down side is it has a high idle draw (92watts). I used it last year to cut fire wood with an electric chainsaw(12.5 amp) and chop saw. It worked really well.

Thanks eggo! Im curious how reliable they are. I have an AIMS 24v 4K 120v and use it for my well. Only down side is it has a high idle draw (92watts). I used it last year to cut fire wood with an electric chainsaw(12.5 amp) and chop saw. It worked really well.

Sigineer has a good reputation.

He's had his around two years now. Runs his pump 4-8 hours per week. Nary a hiccup. It's been completely bulletproof, and it doesn't seem to strain a bit.

If you're considering split-phase for off grid, also consider 3-phase.
You'll have 208V for "240V" loads, and 3-phase if you want it.

This is probably easiest if you're stacking 120V inverters. Or larger systems with 120/240V convertible inverters.

I'm amazed at some off-grid systems. My budget is a bit smaller so we down sized when we went off grid. We have done very well. My only must have is AC. 120v small mini splits make it easy.
I have a 9k BTU mini split on 110. It just sips power, very efficient

Deep submersible Well pump?
I'm running a Grundfos soft start. Water is down about 150ft. It pulls about 1000 watts once it gets up to speed. Its 120v. It will run off almost any inverter or small generator.
I am planning on adding a higher output pump in another well down the road. Likely much higher HP and 3 phase. I'm planning on using a single phase 240v inverter and running it through a VFD. That way I can control it via a PLC and use it as a load diversion in the summer when I irrigate.

Back