diy solar

diy solar

Two of questions ... 12 year old panels and split phase inverter

xtal_01

Hello all!

So, I have only installed one solar system ....very simple for a client. Just a couple panels, controller and single 12 volt battery. It just ran a small pump twice a day at a remote site.

Today I got an e-mail from a friend who knew I was toying with the idea of putting in panels.

Used 12 year old panels (removed from systems to install higher eff panels) about 200 W @ 12 volt ... $20 each

Assuming they work, price looks right.

So, first question ... how good will 12 year old panels be? 25% ...50% of their rating ... 75% .. ????

Second, I know I need a controller to charge the batteries.

From there an inverter.

I have installed an inverter from an RV but that was only 120 volts.

So they make a "reasonably" priced spit phase inverter (120/240)?

Also, how do you get it to act as a true UPS? I have a generator and have to disconnect from the street supply before I plug into my generator. My little ups under my desk is smart enough to switch over without missing a beat. I know guys feed backward into the system but you must need to disconnect when the system is down as to not feed then. Some kind of smart transfer switch or ???

Thinking of this ... does the inverter need to sync with the street.

I tried to do some reading ... found a lot of stand alone systems .... most were simple and used just 12 to 120 ... but if it going to be a whole house unit it seems to get much more complicated.

Thanks .... Mike

So, first question ... how good will 12 year old panels be? 25% ...50% of their rating ... 75% .. ????
Probably 95%
So they make a "reasonably" priced spit phase inverter (120/240)?
LVX6048
Also, how do you get it to act as a true UPS?
critical loads subpanel and it does it automatically
know guys feed backward into the system but you must need to disconnect when the system is down as to not feed then. Some kind of smart transfer switch or
the AIO’s do this functionality automagically
Thinking of this ... does the inverter need to sync with the street.
AIO’s also do that automatically
if it going to be a whole house unit it seems to get much more complicated.
it’s not complicated but…
Used 12 year old panels (removed from systems to install higher eff panels) about 200 W @ 12 volt ... $20 each
…how many panels? 18VOC or 22VOC?

To support your whole house will need quite a few.

Last edited:
Probably 95%

LVX6048

critical loads subpanel and it does it automatically

the AIO’s do this functionality automagically

AIO’s also do that automatically

it’s not complicated but…

…how many panels? 18VOC or 22VOC?

To support your whole house will need quite a few.
Awesome! I looked up the inverter ...exactly what I needed to know!

Just because the panels are cheap, does not mean the rest of the system is.

I might just try a stand alone system ... not on the grid ... just to play with. Panels are cheap ... I have a few inverters kicking around ,.... I even have 6 old fashion deep cycle batteries here.

Thanks!

Back