diy solar

diy solar

pros vs cons of going split phase off grid

I'm running a Grundfos soft start. Water is down about 150ft. It pulls about 1000 watts once it gets up to speed. Its 120v. It will run off almost any inverter or small generator.
I am planning on adding a higher output pump in another well down the road. Likely much higher HP and 3 phase. I'm planning on using a single phase 240v inverter and running it through a VFD. That way I can control it via a PLC and use it as a load diversion in the summer when I irrigate.
Grundfos are excellent pumps.
I asked about the well, as this can be a large start up load for a small inverter. A dedicated 120v system running a 120v well pump has no issues with out of balance between L1 & L2.
The suggestion about building a dedicated 120v system with a separate 240 inverter (normally off) for occational use equipment may be good advice.

Grundfos are excellent pumps.

The Grundfos SQ line that I was drooling over has zero surge.

I asked about the well, as this can be a large start up load for a small inverter. A dedicated 120v system running a 120v well pump has no issues with out of balance between L1 & L2.
The suggestion about building a dedicated 120v system with a separate 240 inverter (normally off) for occational use equipment may be good advice.

It surely worked for my neighbor... until he decided he needed A/C after 25 years... upgraded his Trace SW4024 to a Magnum MS4024PAE for native split phase.

4kW isn't much to run A/C off of, and fortunately, I stopped him before he signed a contract with the local Lennox outfit... the surge from that 3 ton would have brought the magnum to its knees, and they were clueless about off grid needs. He had to pony up 2X the cost for a 2 ton 18 SEER unit with inverter multi stage compressors with no surge. This record summer, I was getting texts with pictures of his outdoor sensor at > 100°F +and his indoor sensor at 73°, with a "thanks again!" :)

Back