diy solar

diy solar

Split phase inverter leg voltage

chilly2

Hello,

I have a WZRELB 3000W 48v split phase off grid inverter that I've been wanting to put through it's paces so decided as it's nice and sunny to take the house off the grid for the day and see what the inverter could do.

I noticed when I ran the dishwasher that the 120V leg that its circuit is on was at 126V while the other leg had dropped to 115V. Ordinarily when running from the grid, the legs are even at about 120v each. Is the imbalance while on the inverter normal?

Not suprising. The load from the dishwasher is dropping the voltage on that leg (that's why the lights dim when you run the vacuum) and the other leg is just automatically balancing because of it. If you were to load up the other leg it would also drop and the two legs would show about the same voltage again.

Also, do you have a link to that inverter? I've been curious about the newer black box split phase inverters and their ability to actually handle surges.

Also, do you have a link to that inverter? I've been curious about the newer black box split phase inverters and their ability to actually handle surges.

It says it can ramp up and it seems to be true.

The outcome of today's experiment in case you were curious...

Base load on the house was 195W.

These were run individually, not at the same time, and each worked.

- Furnace blower (900W)
- Coffee machine (1226W)
- 4 slice toaster (1625W)
- Kettle (1600W)
- Fridge (900W when compressor kicks on)

Watching it on Sense, I could see it handle surges from the fridge and other devices without an issue.

The only problems I've had are when I exceed about 15A on either leg. When it goes over it'll beep at you for maybe 10 seconds or so before shutting off. This happened with the 1800W microwave.

Last edited:
Yup, that's the guy I've been looking at, just a higher rating.

Tripping on the microwave makes sense. A 3kw split phase means 1500w per leg.

Makes me feel better about the inverter.

Yup, that's the guy I've been looking at, just a higher rating.

Tripping on the microwave makes sense. A 3kw split phase means 1500w per leg.

Makes me feel better about the inverter.

Indeed. I knew at the time I was ordering it I was cutting it fine and wanted the 7kw version but that was a fair bit more and the device had yet to prove itself.

I like it because I have separate components. It's offline so doesn't phone home, has no iffy firmware to go wrong, and the idle consumption is very good.

Back