diy solar

diy solar

Question regarding sun gold energy 6000w split phase inverter/charger that’s in fault mode

scottymacsd

Recently my sungold energy 24 volt, 6000 watt split phase inverter went into fault mode and after trouble shooting it with tech support, they are sending me a new main board. Which is great, but there was never a reason for why this happened. This occurred after the batteries got too low after two days of mostly clouds. So I started the generator which is connected to the inverter s ac input, and my power came back on in the cabin. Then I went to bed. When I woke up in the morning the power was out snd generator was off. It had ran out of gas at some point. So I go out figuring I’m going to need to switch the inverter off then back on and will run normal as each time I’ve had to do this in the past. Except there was s solid alarm sound this time and showed fault on the lcd screen. The batteries were fully charged by that point since the sun was out. No matter what I’ve tried the fault code keeps coming back and there is no output voltage. Also the generators 30 amp breaker was tripped when I first found the problem and every attempt to reset the inverter when the generator is connected, the generator will bog down and the breaker trips.
Then yesterday I decided to check the cable that goes from the generator to the inverter, and I took apart the 220 plug that plugs into the generator and found that one of the two hots was not screwed down and was floating around in side the plug. It doesn’t look like it has contacted the other hot or the ground( no neutral is used on this inverters 220volt input. ) so the problem must be that only one hot and the ground were connected at the time it faulted.
I am just wondering what could have been damaged in the inverter from only having 1 of the 120 volts legs and the ground attempting to power it. And why the generator is bogging down and tripping the breaker. There are no signs of any damaged components visible on the boards and all mosfets checked to be good.
So I am missing something and could use a push in the correct direction . I don’t want this to happen again.
Any ideas, please share.
Thanks

Back