diy solar

diy solar

Magnum Inverter/charger max input voltage

Vinalhaven_off grid

Hi all - this is my first post here, so I hope I am posting this on the right forum. We have a solar array powering two Midnite Classics for charging a battery bank, and two Magnum PAE Inverters/chargers. This has worked quite well for us, but recently we installed a back-up generator to top up the batteries in winter. The generator is a new Kohler 12 kW RES generator. When I tried the generator for the first time, initially the inverter/chargers were charging the batteries just fine, but after about 20 minutes, the Magnums showed a high AC input voltage fault. I'm now trying to troubleshoot this. The specced AC output voltage of the generator should be well within the range of what the Magnums can accept, so I was surprised when this happened.

Any suggestions on how to find the cause for this? I'm not on location right now, but need to make sure that next time I'm on site, I have the right tools and procedures. Is there a setting on the Magnums that limits the max AC input voltage beyond the specced range (i.e., less than 140 VAC)? If the voltage on the generator is too high, I know how to adjust it using the controller, but would that cause other problems? Is this a known problem for these Magnums? If so, any posts you could point me at that would be helpful in resolving this? Thanks so much!

Back