diy solar

diy solar

Magnum Inverter charging issues, settings not being applied.

motocache

Located in North America (120V/240V, 60hz)

Trying my luck here as I've been going back-and-forth with Magnum, not getting a solution and now over a week since their last correspondence.

I have bought two used Magnum inverters. One is 24V, the other 48V and they are exhibiting the same exact charge issue, that being I set a current limit via the remote and the setting seems to not get applied. I have it set to charge via CC/CV and I set the Shore limit to 5A AC (max: 600W) yet I am seeing upwards of 39A DC going into the battery from both inverters when charging (that's ~1.8kW and ~900W for the 48V and 24V inverters respectively). I also have tried using the custom battery profile instead of using CC/CV (CC/CV doesn't let you modify the charge rate settings), not how I really want to be charging Li-ion but regardless when I set the charge rate to 10% the same thing happens, it will still charge at upwards of 39A DC when it should be restricting it much lower.

I am charging via 1 phase (L1, N). The charge current seems to bounce around quite a bit, even during CC; it is still bouncy even charging via absorp/bulk/float charge mode. Again both inverters are exhibiting identical behavior, making me speculate that the inverters are physically fine and it's software related.

Anyone experience this issue, I've been browsing for the past two weeks and can't find anyone with this issue. It's critical for me to limit the charge rate for the batteries I am using, each panasonic 18650 has a charge rating of 0.66C but when compacted into a large-dense pack designed to be liquid cooled (w/unreliable temp sensors without liquid cooling) I want to play it super-super safe and grid charge slowly, I don't want to test the limits of Li-ion. I'm about to say screw it and just buy some tailored Li-Ion chargers and forego using the charger function on the Magnum... A shame if it comes to that.

Equipment specs are below...

Model #: MS4024PAE
Serial #: WAA-01100
MFG Date: 3rd quarter of 2017
Inverter Revision: 6.0

And...

Model #: MS4448PAE
Serial #: AB-06609
MFG Date: 4th quarter of 2014
Inverter Revision: 5.1

Remotes: 2x ME-RC50 (PN: 64-0003, Rev H)

Batteries:
Tesla Model S/X Module (24V battery modules), using JBD BMS.

Last edited:
Did you set the Battery ah's so the charge rate % can reference that?
I have a ~2009 MS4024 that is having voltage reading issues.

I should add that the remote is displaying accurate input current, so I would think current sensing is fine but then again the charge current is way more bouncy than it should be, even in constant current phase the charge current will bounce all over the place.

I have been welding using these inverters on a MIG-175, no issues so far when inverting.

Magnum has three different remotes you can plug in the PAE series.

I do not think that the ME-RC allow for this level of granularity, pretty sure you need the ME-ARC or the ME-ARTR

I would go with the ME_ARC as you do not need the adjustments that the ME-ARTR (router) give you/

just because it shows the screen does not mean it can send the adjustments. there are also revisions of the remotes that you need to pay attention to... what revision remote with what revision of inverter...

I think the lowest you can get away with is 10 amps charging current. being both inverter/chargers are 100amp chargers. 10% would be 10amps. would this be to high?
Looks like its stuck on 40% charge rate...?

I think the lowest you can get away with is 10 amps charging current. being both inverter/chargers are 100amp chargers. 10% would be 10amps. would this be to high?
nope the 4448 is 60 amps at its 48 volt rating. not sure about the 4024

edit: 60 amps max. minimum setting is 10% the incoming limiter is to setup how much goes to hotel loads and how much to charger.

Magnum has three different remotes you can plug in the PAE series.

I do not think that the ME-RC allow for this level of granularity, pretty sure you need the ME-ARC or the ME-ARTR

I would go with the ME_ARC as you do not need the adjustments that the ME-ARTR (router) give you/

just because it shows the screen does not mean it can send the adjustments. there are also revisions of the remotes that you need to pay attention to... what revision remote with what revision of inverter...
I suspected this could be the case, having an old revision inverter with old firmware not compatible with the remote settings. If it is the case I essentially just bought 2x $180 on/off buttons lol.

Funny thing is I added that suspicion (with the revisions of the inverters and the remote) in my initial email and the replies I got went down a completely different track as if they didn't read the specifics of my email at all and were just answering based upon the subject-line of the email.

If this is the case I will just buy a dedicated CC/CV tailored charger. It's cheaper than the $250 ARC remote (of which I need two) and if the cheap charger ever dies the inverter doesn't die with it.

I suspected this could be the case, having an old revision inverter with old firmware not compatible with the remote settings. If it is the case I essentially just bought 2x $180 on/off buttons lol.

Funny thing is I added that suspicion (with the revisions of the inverters and the remote) in my initial email and the replies I got went down a completely different track as if they didn't read the specifics of my email at all and were just answering based upon the subject-line of the email.

If this is the case I will just buy a dedicated CC/CV tailored charger. It's cheaper than the $250 ARC remote (of which I need two) and if the cheap charger ever dies the inverter doesn't die with it.
you only need the remote to set it up, after that you could plug in the other remote and it should work fine. i would buy one and go for it.

wouldn't a custom charger be better for 6s tesla batteries? maybe charging at lower voltages confuses the inverter?
in the custom battery settings you can set it to charge at almost any voltage from a low of 48 to a high of 60 if memory serves me correctly. it does not look at t he cells, only the pack voltage. so if a 6s tesla battery falls within the range of the inverter it will charge it.

you only need the remote to set it up, after that you could plug in the other remote and it should work fine. i would buy one and go for it.
Planning to install these inverters in seperate service vehicles, hence a remote per inverter is needed since the system will be contained and I'd want toggling the inverter to be easily accesible... I suppose I could just modify the native on/off on the inverter though.

The more I contemplate it the more I think a dedicated charger is the smarter move regardless in my case, batteries will see a fair amount of generator charging and I've had good luck with the cheapish chargers I have ordered through aliexpress in the past. I can buy three chargers for the price of a single ARC remote.

if the chargers do not work with the current remotes. why would they work with new ones? I assume the rest of the remote works? Is it only the charge rate which will not change?

wouldn't a custom charger be better for 6s tesla batteries? maybe charging at lower voltages confuses the inverter?
Could be, 6S Li-Ion, I'm using a range of 3.2-4.125V, so 19.2V-24.75V for the pack voltage, but both packs were in the middle of SOC when I began my charging trial (~22V, ~44V).
in the custom battery settings you can set it to charge at almost any voltage from a low of 48 to a high of 60 if memory serves me correctly. it does not look at t he cells, only the pack voltage. so if a 6s tesla battery falls within the range of the inverter it will charge it.
Under CC/CV it just gives you the selection of charge voltage and the option to hold constant voltage (or time or current) at the end of the charge, not sure when the charger decides to switch over to CV.

Under Custom you get absorb, float and equalize, with the final charge mode being a different external setting.

Last edited:
if the chargers do not work with the current remotes. why would they work with new ones? I assume the rest of the remote works? Is it only the charge rate which will not change?
I suspect they may not work, it's something I would be verifying with Magnum before I went ahead and would order, but Idk what info can be extracted from Magnum; it seems I am not the only one who has difficulty communicating with Magnum.

Last edited:
Back