diy solar

diy solar

Magnum settings for a lithium bank

Again, a Magnum tech couldn't resolve the issue. I don't trust them. There was no AC coupling present and the AC coupling setting is enabled by specifying a custom battery type.

Other's with Magnum experience, one a former Magnum tech, directed me to the solution - select a default battery type or use CC/CV. I have shared that with you.

When charging with generator, absorption should be minimized and float should be completely avoided. When your battery hits absorption voltage, it will be nearly full. Since LFP experience no benefit from being fully charged like lead acid, it's least costly to charge between 50-90% vs. 60-100% as an example. That same 40% increase in SoC will cost you more because the generator is less efficient at lower power.

Note step 1:

View attachment 189701
Ok, thanks for this. What about the initial charge, could I bring them to 100% so I know what to set the Victron shunt to? Otherwise I'm guessing if they're at 90, 95 etc.? I've also been told bringing them up to 100% while it will shorten their life a touch, over thousands of cycles, some would rather bring to 100% to balance cells and sacrifice that bit of lost life with them
("I charge to 100%, all the BS you hear on YouTube about 80% is true, but we're talking about a difference of a year or two in the lifespan of a 20 year battery. In my world, the premature death of a battery because the cells were unbalanced (due to undercharging) far outweighs the slightly shortened life. Your call on that.?")

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here. I just get frustrated and overwhelmed with how much information is out there and how much it seems to differ, coming from manufacturer techs, smart people on here ,etc.

Ok, thanks for this. What about the initial charge, could I bring them to 100% so I know what to set the Victron shunt to? Otherwise I'm guessing if they're at 90, 95 etc.? I've also been told bringing them up to 100% while it will shorten their life a touch, over thousands of cycles, some would rather bring to 100% to balance cells and sacrifice that bit of lost life with them
("I charge to 100%, all the BS you hear on YouTube about 80% is true, but we're talking about a difference of a year or two in the lifespan of a 20 year battery. In my world, the premature death of a battery because the cells were unbalanced (due to undercharging) far outweighs the slightly shortened life. Your call on that.?")

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here. I just get frustrated and overwhelmed with how much information is out there and how much it seems to differ, coming from manufacturer techs, smart people on here ,etc.

I follow two paths:

Max life: Charge to 3.45V/cell, 1-2 hour absorption - slower charge, lower current, lower voltage, longer time to allow BMS balancing.
Fast charge: Charge to 3.55-3.65V/cell, 0-30 minutes absorption - choice for generator charging.

Either method is going to yield 95-100% SoC. Charging to 80-90% reliably is not worth the effort and will require regular manually correcting the SoC OR using periodic equalization charges to drive to 100% for SoC synch.

If charging with solar, you should regularly hit near 100% with either method.

Taking to 100% for the purposes of shunt sync sounds good. I'm not saying you should never charge to full with generator, you just want to avoid doing it unnecessarily.

Back