diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV2424 MSD (white) not outputting power by morning

samuelprsns

Hello,

I've been having an issue with my MPP PIP-LV2424-MSD Inverter. I have a single 24v 202AH BigBattery HAWK MAX LiFePo4 Battery, 4x200w solar panels, and no grid access at all. It is now an every night occurrence that when I stay there I am going to bed with the battery between 26.4-26.8v, then using just a mattress pad heater that is about 80w, plus an exhaust fan that is 35w, and a heating pad on the battery that is 20w. And when I wake up, power is gone.

That would be fine if the issue was just that I don't have the power to last the night and need an additional battery, but what's really annoying me is that when the sun comes up and I get down under the cabin to check on everything, the battery has clearly been charging up in the sun, and has sometimes returned to as high as 25.5 or more volts, yet there is no AC power coming out. Not from the battery, not from the sun. This is solved by me simply switching the inverter off and then back on. When I turn it back on, all of a sudden it begins feeding AC power again as if everything is fine.

Why on Earth is the lv2424 not feeding power even if the sun is blazing, the battery has enough power, and it is switched on. How do I keep myself from having to just reboot the machine every morning.

It's also especially annoying because it's not just me staying there, I put up friends and also airbnb it, and those people don't know how to go reset the inverter. Plus the only access to it requires going outdoors, and it's cold! I just want for people to be able to continue to charge their phones and maybe run an electric kettle! The sun is up! The battery has power! wtf! Thank you.

Here are my settings:

01- sbu
02- 40A
03- APL
04- nor
05- USE
06- Lrd
07 - trD
08- 120v
09- 60hz
11- 30A
12- 24.0v
13- 28.5v
16- Snu
25- fdS
26- 28.7
27- 28.2
28- Sig
29- 21.6

Do not have a manual for your model handy to look up your settings but if you have a setting for "Battery under voltage recovery point" it would set the minimum voltage that the battery must exceed before it can turn back on the inverter.*

Your batteries going low overnight sound like a problem of not getting fully charged during the day and over a few days you eventually have them go low. You have to remember to include the inverters idle current of around 60w into your total.
Thus 135w of loads plus 60w of inverter =195w X 24hours = 4680wh
Your panels likely only develop at most 800w X 5hrs =4000wh

*I should mention that when you turn off and back on you likely eliminate the the low battery fault and then the minimum battery voltage amount allows your system to turn on. The settings that are default on my AIO (A EAsun model) are 27v for the fault recovery and 22v minimum for startup.

Last edited:
Thus 135w of loads plus 60w of inverter =195w X 24hours = 4680wh
Your panels likely only develop at most 800w X 5hrs =4000wh
But I don't leave it cranking all 24 hours. Most I run the mattress pad is 10 hours, it has an auto-shutoff after that anyway. And the others I've left on for only 14 hours max. And the heater on the battery isn't going round the clock either since it's in a well-insulated box. I'd say my consumption is more like the (80w x 10h) + (35w x 14h) + (20w x 8h) which is only 1,450wh. There is of course also some idle consumption, but this should not be draining this battery to death. And I'm getting this battery up to its full charge so that it rests at 26.8v and this still happens.

I do like the idea of the battery under voltage recovery point. But I guess I don't understand what setting that is on the PIP-lv2424-MSD. The manual for this MPP is so vague, and it's never quite clear what the effects of some variable parameters will be, like, say, not having it hooked up to any grid.

Well if your battery is reaching 26.8v (90% charged) by end of day but is drained overnight there can be only 2 reasons I can think of. The first one is you have more loads than you are calculating for (even if there is simply a bad connection causing heating somewhere). The second is your battery has less capacity than it should based on rating.

OP post #4:
'I'd say my consumption is more like the (80w x 10h) + (35w x 14h) + (20w x 8h) which is only 1,450wh.'
That is AC Wh, that means the battery has to supply 1450Wh/.085 = 1705Wh due to inverter conversion loss.

Back