diy solar

diy solar

Magnum Inverter charging issues, settings not being applied.

if the chargers do not work with the current remotes. why would they work with new ones? I assume the rest of the remote works? Is it only the charge rate which will not change?
There are certain settings I haven't tested, such as low voltage cut-out, VAC dropout, but outside of that most of the settings seem to apply besides the settings that modify current limit (charge rate and shore power).

I suspect they may not work, it's something I would be verifying with Magnum before I went ahead and would order, but Idk what info can be extracted from Magnum; it seems I am not the only one who has difficulty communicating with Magnum.
magnum had a brain drain after sensata bought them out. the sensata folks basically bought up the company and ran it into the ground so there is very little technical help available compared to precovid. the people answering you are scratching their heads while they read the manuals that their predecessors created and understood. the same as you. the gear is solid, but there is no longer the wealth of accumulated knowledge that they had before.

magnum had a brain drain after sensata bought them out. the sensata folks basically bought up the company and ran it into the ground so there is very little technical help available compared to precovid. the people answering you are scratching their heads while they read the manuals that their predecessors created and understood. the same as you. the gear is solid, but there is no longer the wealth of accumulated knowledge that they had before.
So I've been reading... A shame but I'm certainly not upset with the equipment; I picked up both inverters for $1,300, as in $650 each which I'm pretty stoked about. They've presented no issues thus far during my welding projects last week. I'm limited by the BMS (100A cont. on the 24V, and 120A cont. for the 48V), but with the 48V inverter I am able to max out my MIG 175.

So I've been reading... A shame but I'm certainly not upset with the equipment; I picked up both inverters for $1,300, as in $650 each which I'm pretty stoked about. They've presented no issues thus far during my welding projects last week. I'm limited by the BMS (100A cont. on the 24V, and 120A cont. for the 48V), but with the 48V inverter I am able to max out my MIG 175.
thats a pretty sweet price for a 4448.

I power my entire cabin and shop to include split pack a/c incandescent warmers for the Kotatsu each is 1600 watts and then all of the lights in the shop.
one time i turned on the a/c, the kotatsu's every light the fridge, freezer and as well as sewer pump, and then every light in the shop on along with the drill press turn on.
The most I saw was a 45 amp draw from the battery bank and the 4448 handled it all by itself I have a second one that is currently my spare. at first i was going to hook up in parallel but decided it is unnecessary for my use. instead I am going to hang it on the wall and have it ready to instantly swap over if needed.

Located in North America (120V/240V, 60hz)

Trying my luck here as I've been going back-and-forth with Magnum, not getting a solution and now over a week since their last correspondence.

I have bought two used Magnum inverters. One is 24V, the other 48V and they are exhibiting the same exact charge issue, that being I set a current limit via the remote and the setting seems to not get applied. I have it set to charge via CC/CV and I set the Shore limit to 5A AC (max: 600W) yet I am seeing upwards of 39A DC going into the battery from both inverters when charging (that's ~1.8kW and ~900W for the 48V and 24V inverters respectively). I also have tried using the custom battery profile instead of using CC/CV (CC/CV doesn't let you modify the charge rate settings), not how I really want to be charging Li-ion but regardless when I set the charge rate to 10% the same thing happens, it will still charge at upwards of 39A DC when it should be restricting it much lower.

I am charging via 1 phase (L1, N). The charge current seems to bounce around quite a bit, even during CC; it is still bouncy even charging via absorp/bulk/float charge mode. Again both inverters are exhibiting identical behavior, making me speculate that the inverters are physically fine and it's software related.

Anyone experience this issue, I've been browsing for the past two weeks and can't find anyone with this issue. It's critical for me to limit the charge rate for the batteries I am using, each panasonic 18650 has a charge rating of 0.66C but when compacted into a large-dense pack designed to be liquid cooled (w/unreliable temp sensors without liquid cooling) I want to play it super-super safe and grid charge slowly, I don't want to test the limits of Li-ion. I'm about to say screw it and just buy some tailored Li-Ion chargers and forego using the charger function on the Magnum... A shame if it comes to that.

Equipment specs are below...

Model #: MS4024PAE
Serial #: WAA-01100
MFG Date: 3rd quarter of 2017
Inverter Revision: 6.0

And...

Model #: MS4448PAE
Serial #: AB-06609
MFG Date: 4th quarter of 2014
Inverter Revision: 5.1

Remotes: 2x ME-RC50 (PN: 64-0003, Rev H)

Batteries:
Tesla Model S/X Module (24V battery modules), using JBD BMS.
I have a MS4448 with ME-ARC too. The charger is very quirky. I've tried CC/CV, Custom and AGM profiles to charge my lithium bank. It works fine until the charge nears absorption, then it blows right thru my absorption V setting and hits the over voltage alarm. I'm at the point now that I won't leave the charger alone when its nearing the end of the charge cycle. I've studied the manual and can't figure out the issue either.

Do any of you have the magnum BMK installed? I have mine set to shut off charging if the SOC hits 90%.
I will admit I have no clue how mine acts when it approaches the end of absorption. I only use the genset when the pack is really low and then only for long enough to bring it up to 80% or so. (that could be 6 hours of genset run time on my banks previous build of 500 AH, with the new bank being a total of 1300 AH it would take up to 20 hours with a totally dead bank. I have never let it run the full course to date.

just enough to make it a day or two until the sun comes back out.

I have a Li compatible BMK on the 2 PAE 4448's. Absorption time is set to it's minimum value. (It's out in the powershed, I'm at my desk and I don't remember).
Sensata, IMHO, didn't do Magnum any favors and is falling behind quickly. They had rock solid products and support when in Everett.

Last edited:
Sensata, IMHO, didn't do Magnum any favors and is falling behind quickly. They had rock solid products and support when in Everett.
100% agreed. the products are still solid, just now nobody at the company knows their backside from a hole in the ground. All the knowledgable staff have been downsized or quit on their own from what i hear.

Back