diy solar

diy solar

14.4 KW solar, 40.96 kWh backup, 2 solark 15k inverters, off grid family home, doable or delusional?

LYP is a form of LFP specifically LiFeYPO4- basically Yyitrium is used as a doping agent in the battery- it is slightly more expensive than LFP, but has a usable temperature range of -45C up to 85C
This is the spec sheets for my battery pack here (20kwh nominal, 16x400Ah cells)
View attachment 195002
Unlike L/A or LFP, they can be charged down as low as -20C (-4F) with no throttling , down to -45C (-50F)with throttling (reducing the charge rate from a maximum of 3CA down to 1CA max (thats 1200A down to 400A on my cells), and the same with the upper end (which is where I like their performance, being in N/E Australia, we regularly get temps in excess of 40C(105F) for weeks on end) unlike LFP and L/A which need to start throttling above 40C, the LYP doesn't need to start throttling until its over 60C(140F), and stop charging at 85C(185F)... in which case, the battery temperature is the least of my worries lol
(people in Marble Bar still wouldn't have to throttle LYP- despite it hitting 52C there a few weeks ago- thats 125.6F!!!)
🥵
They have a slightly poorer charge density than LFP (slightly larger physically and slightly heavier for the same storage capacity, by about 10%) but for household use thats not an issue... and the ability to accept full charge rates up to 60C more than makes up for it...

Not exactly new- they have been on sale here in Australia since 2008, elsewhere since 2002...
Interesting... any of these LYP's come in server rack form I could get in the states?

Yup- mine are Winstons...
AFAIK there are no rackmounts for LYP (love to see the server rack that could hold 216kg/477lbs of cells which is what my 20kwh bank weighs lol)

Last edited:
Looks like they may actually have a LYP server rack if you scroll down into the description on this page: https://lypbattery.com/winston-battery/48v-100v-lifepo4-battery/
That's new (admittedly I haven't been to their website for a few months- basically 'semi retired' these days, and building my place is the priority...)
ETA- although that is using their LFP cells, not the LYP ones... and is a reseller...

Winstons LYP range thats the manufacturers page, not a resellers page...

Last edited:
Back