diy solar

diy solar

18 Gauge Wire to Deep Cell Battery

Texsox

New guy here and hoping someone has a better plan that what I have.

I've been searching and can't seem to find an answer. I have a simple system for landscape lights. I'm using an extra deep cycle battery, panel, and charge controller that I had in my RV. So far it's easy. But as soon as I look at those 3/8" terminals and the lights with 18 gauge wire leads I'm stumped.

So far my best idea is a new controller with a load out. The downside is I was hoping to have two circuits. One dusk to dawn for the landscape lights and a second line to my shed with a switch for daylight use.

OK, so the 18AWG wires are pretty low amperage but if they're LED's that's probably not a problem. Depending on what your SCC can provide out of its LOAD ports you're probably fine if you don't have a huge amount of lights. Many SCC's have a day/night setting for their LOAD ports which makes landscape lighting easy.

As for the circuit to feed the shed, just pull that directly off the battery and call it a day. Use a heavy enough wire to support what loads you're going to want in there, but again LED lights aren't going to need much.

Is the problem specifically connecting the 18 awg wire to the 3/8" studs?
There's plenty of options for that. Here's the first appropriate result I found on Amazon:
I swear I've searched Amazon for that exact product multiple times since December. Thank you. Order placed.

I have a dusk to dawn sensor laying around and was considering using that and not getting a new controller, but the controller will allow me to turn the lights off earlier if I want.

@Rednecktek Yes, they are 3W LED. I'm using a 100 amp hour deep cycle battery with a 100 watt panel so I shouldn't have a problem running around 10 to 15 of them for a few hours each night. I wish I had a better location to mount the panel, but for a few reasons it's where it will have to be, but it will only be in direct sunlight about six to eight hours per day.

Back