diy solar

diy solar

18Kpv As Battery Backup

Scider

Hey guys, I'm working on a quasi-temporary install of my 18Kpv and I wanted to see if anyone might have some feedback on safety or best practices.

Background: My electric service has a history of power outages, some several days long, the worst year I had about half a dozen outages. I've had a ~4kW solar system installed for a few years now, but it's kind of a goofy setup that makes it difficult to integrate batteries without a larger electrical tear up. I put in a 7500W transfer switch in the basement about a year ago and it's been great, but I've only got an EU2200i. It runs most the house (lights, TV, internet, ceiling fans, furnace fan) but I don't use the high load circuits (AC/Microwave etc.).

After watching one of Will's videos on split phase inverters as a backup I decided to invest in 6 EG4 LL batteries and a split phase all-in-one inverter to be used solely for battery backup for the time being, and charge it using a chargeverter if need be. Here's where the challenge comes in. To future proof a bit for either tearing up my current house or for moving to a new place, I decided to oversize to the 18kpv. I've only just realized it's not the greatest idea to throw a 10/4 SOOW generator cable on the 18kPV load output directly because it's nowhere near the 6 gauge minimum at the load terminals to support a 50a output.

I'm thinking the best course of action is running 6/3 wire to a split phase sub panel with a 30A breaker, then 10/3 going to a L14-30R outlet that I can run to the transfer switch.

I'm not sure if there's any safe way to limit the inverter output or the battery discharge amps as a work around. Seems kind of sketchy to me. Anyway, was just curious if anyone had any thoughts on the matter.

The 18Kpv has a builtin 200A transfer switch, so put that between your grid and your main panel with an appropriate wire size. Then you can do backup, grid shaving, etc and not worry about it.

Get a ChargeVerter to charge your batteries directly from the generator and Bob’s Your Uncle.

diy solar

diy solar
Back