diy solar

diy solar

2 full size panels mounted sideways on fence

Mirlen

I'm pondering about mounting 2 full size 400-550W panels sideways on a fence that is in front of our air conditioners. I see a lot of those cheap $25-30 mounts and some are even 41" that might fit this size panel but I suspect they aren't up to the task and would need 3-4 per that size panel if they'd even work. Any other budget options that you'd suggest? This fence is wood but has about 3-4 steel posts in the ground making it pretty sturdy, span is about 158" long which should handle 2 decent size panels.. Budget friendly easy options appreciated!

I'm pondering about mounting 2 full size 400-550W panels sideways on a fence that is in front of our air conditioners. I see a lot of those cheap $25-30 mounts and some are even 41" that might fit this size panel but I suspect they aren't up to the task and would need 3-4 per that size panel if they'd even work. Any other budget options that you'd suggest? This fence is wood but has about 3-4 steel posts in the ground making it pretty sturdy, span is about 158" long which should handle 2 decent size panels.. Budget friendly easy options appreciated!

Most panels have mounting holes on the frame, right angle bracket, nuts bolts and screws , EASY

Just like I did with these 425ws to a wooden frame on my shed roof

IMG_20230904_213053.jpg

Most panels have mounting holes on the frame, right angle bracket, nuts bolts and screws , EASY

Just like I did with these 425ws to a wooden frame on my shed roof

View attachment 165983

Yeah not looking to do something quite that big/bulky since this fence is in a walkway area, trying to preserve space and not cut into walkway more than 24-30" or so at my desired tilt. Was really just looking for reputable sturdy kits vs. the minefield of testing one out from Amazon. I was thinking something like the 3 pieces of angle 'iron' and a few bolts but looks like the aluminum stuff doesn't come in punched form, so maybe a galvanized version and a few right angles and a few bolts...guess I'll poke at the hardware store and see what that'd add up to.

Yeah not looking to do something quite that big/bulky since this fence is in a walkway area, trying to preserve space and not cut into walkway more than 24-30" or so at my desired tilt. Was really just looking for reputable sturdy kits vs. the minefield of testing one out from Amazon. I was thinking something like the 3 pieces of angle 'iron' and a few bolts but looks like the aluminum stuff doesn't come in punched form, so maybe a galvanized version and a few right angles and a few bolts...guess I'll poke at the hardware store and see what that'd add up to.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting a big wooden frame like I've got

I was thinking about mounting the panels vertical with brackets straight onto the woodwork of the fence. You'd be talking less than $5 a panel to mount

My solar fence budget build (well at least if you consider $/W) uses wooden posts and aluminum frames glued to panels with UV protected windshield glue (and primer). Very rigid indeed. With vertical setup use bifacials to compensate bad tilt.

ready front.jpg

Are horizontal panels less efficient than portrait? Thought I saw something about that and now has me wondering if doing them horizontal is a good idea or not...

I bought the ecoworthy ground mount system and we're modifying it for a partial fence mount with single axis tracking. It ran around $150.00 and as in it's intended use, can hold 4 full sized panels.

It comes with 4 tilt-able mounts that we are mounting into the fence posts, setting the panels on those, and then adding heavy concrete 4x4 post bases to attach an arm/linear actuator assembly. This will hold 10 panels and likely fail spectacularly ;-)

Are horizontal panels less efficient than portrait? Thought I saw something about that and now has me wondering if doing them horizontal is a good idea or not...
Depends on circumstances. In my case, I have an 'opportunity' to mount 6-8 x 300w panels on a fence BUT they must be vertical else they'll interfere with the walkway along the fence. So is it worth it?

It is to me because this will boost my 4 months of winter production ~140kwh (20-25%), and will help some in late fall / early spring. I'm already over-paneled (compared to consumption) for the 6 months of 'summer'.

Here's PVWatts at 2.4kw at 90deg facing south.
1694621126536.png

I would suggest it's a DIY judgement call based on you're overall circumstances rather than good/bad. :)

Back