diy solar

diy solar

Newbie struggling on mount options

Medic6340

Hello all, first off, what an amazing amount of information on here! Secondly, about me, I am in the planning/ordering stage of my solar system, but am struggling with the mount selection. I am located in New Brunswick Canada, and am doing a 16kW grid tied (net metering) ground mount system. I am on 20+ acres, with zero shade issues, neighbour issues and will be DIYing the mounts, panel mounting, trenching etc.

The current design is 32 x 570W Bifacial panels with Quadruple microinverters, the supplier (Solar Power Store) has spec’d out 8 Maple Leaf Canada 4 Panel Goose adjustable ground mounts. My issues are the size of the field, and the foundation requirement.

The array will be 2 rows 60’ long and 25’ apart, which in effect makes it 45’x62’ space. The foundations for each of these mounts are 3 rebar reinforced concrete 20” diameter x 60” deep piers, so a total of 24 piers. The price for the foundations alone is well over the price of the ground mounts themselves.

I however, like the reviews etc of the Sinclair Sky-Rack, and the 32 panel rack only has 4 posts, and since I highly doubt I can find someone with a pounder anywhere near me, if I just plan on the 4 concrete foundations of 24” diameter x 60” depth it will still save me thousands of dollars. Also worth noting is the orientation of 2x16 panels, the Sinclair rack will also only be a 16x60 array, but obviously taller than the Maple Leaf mounts.

Has anyone had any experience with these specific mounts, and am I missing something while picking between these 2 mounts?

No experience with the Goose but I do like the Sinclair for around here in SW Missouri. Our frost depth is less than 2' so piers here a lot easier than than would be in Canada. We still have to use a mini-ex and dig 60" inches. There are few areas around here to pile drive or use screw anchors with reliable success so we often just don't start down that road and skip straight to concrete.

Not sure if you need stamped drawings by an engineer for your area but even if you don't this might be a case where an cost of a local engineer might save enough money to pay thier fees.

Back