diy solar

diy solar

Post your Ground Mount Setup

Wind - 1. Redneck ground mount - 0.
I intentionally placed it so it would fall onto the post... I'm shocked it lasted as long is it did.
View attachment 196036

I will be sealing / staining the wood come spring.
Good catch! I found my empty orca cooler/insulated battery charging box had been blown by the wind and was upside down on one of the panels. Theses are way tougher then I feared.

Good catch! I found my empty orca cooler/insulated battery charging box had been blown by the wind and was upside down on one of the panels. Theses are way tougher then I feared.
There was a nice scratch on the back panel I was thrilled with 😉 but they are still working fine. I propped them back up around 12:45... Aim matters!
(740W array)
Screenshot_20240216-150250.jpg

Picture was taken during the Great Houston Freeze where I could not handle the cold to secure the panels. Seconds after the picture was taken a gust of north wind came behind the panels, flipped them up and over breaking the hinge, however with no visual or performance damage to the panels. Spent the rest of the Freeze charging while resting on the ground and tied to the golf cart.

Attachments

• Houston snow.jpg
    Houston snow.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 11
There was a nice scratch on the back panel I was thrilled with 😉 but they are still working fine. I propped them back up around 12:45... Aim matters!
(740W array)
View attachment 196050
Pretty garbage production from my six Hyundai 300W today, plus I'm currently at 24V, waiting for combiner to arrive and then will add a third string of three and bump up to 48V.
20240214_123923.jpg

Inspired by @Gavin Stone's unistrut mount, but I used 2x2 sign posts as my base and added 2 vertical rows of unistruts for an additional clamping point, and added kickers and more cross bracing, because we get a lot of wind and it's at 35 degrees. It sheds snow on it's own, is bifacial so gets some ambient light boost, and acts as covered storage and shade for livestock. The kickers and cross bracing made it rock solid, it doesn't wobble at all. 8S 460w bluesun's

IMG_20240122_170324943.jpgIMG_20240130_133124805_HDR.jpgIMG_20240205_103404421.jpg

vladkgb more detail please. I have never been a jealous person but that is changing.
That's an Exaco Royal Victorian green house https://mulberrygreenhouses.com/products/vi46?variant=32491614306383

It's mostly hydroponics. I run a NFT system all winter growing herbs and greens, like lettuces, spinach, chard etc. Starting in Spring I start my bato bucket system with tomatos & peppers, and my ebb & flow system with brocolli, beans, peas. I've also got soil boxes in there for sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, asparagus, grapes, and Meyer lemon trees.

Inspired by @Gavin Stone's unistrut mount, but I used 2x2 sign posts as my base and added 2 vertical rows of unistruts for an additional clamping point, and added kickers and more cross bracing, because we get a lot of wind and it's at 35 degrees. It sheds snow on it's own, is bifacial so gets some ambient light boost, and acts as covered storage and shade for livestock. The kickers and cross bracing made it rock solid, it doesn't wobble at all. 8S 460w bluesun's

View attachment 196122View attachment 196123View attachment 196124

How far off the ground is the front? Looks great

I need signpost steel... Now where exactly did you get those ?? LOL!
love the concept!
Awesome natural resource utilization.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bop
I need signpost steel... Now where exactly did you get those ?? LOL!
love the concept!
Awesome natural resource utilization.
Depends- in some areas they can be found growing in the wild, and can be harvested when fully grown (usually a mature sign post tree shows it is fully grown by growing a large foliage display at its top, this is usually red or yellow, but some species it can be white...)

They tend to mostly be found near their food source, a black ribbon of a bituminous substance which they use for nourishment- some may grow near other food sources like gravel or even dirt, but this isn't a good source, and they tend to be found less often in such areas, and usually take longer to regrow after harvesting...

They usually regrow quickly after harvesting, with a new mature plant often reappearing only days after harvesting the old one- be aware however that in most places harvesting signpost trees is illegal and can attract large fines...

I was able to find a website that sells them, but the price does not beat home depos 1.5" galv pipe.
When bought in amounts of 5ish you do get an additional 15% off

of course, you cant beat the harvested prices...that Bop mentioned...

Back