diy solar

diy solar

Really basic panel mounting questions

KevinC_63559

I'm some ways away from adding solar to my "UPS" setup, but wanted to start wrapping my head around the mechanics of doing so. Thus some really basic starter questions. Please presume a ground mount system:

1) I presume panels are sufficiently rigid that support on the 4 corners will suffice?
2) Most appear to have aluminum frames. Are their bi-metal problems using galvanized steel clamps and bolts in direct contact with the aluminum frames? Would stainless be any better (at many times the cost)?
3) Is every panel different or are their mounting standards I should look for?
4) Every panel frame should be connected to an earth ground? Curious why since the frame is electrically isolated from the panel power output, right???
5) We live in a fairly windy place - 25-30mph gust occur annually, at least. Tornadoes too, but not much you can do about them. I noticed the wind ratings on panels seem to either be 2000pa or 4000pa. Worst case scenario I mount some vertically directly facing winds. Do I need 4000pa units for them to survive? I know that is going to vary by panel size, so presume XXL (roughly 4'x8' e.g. about 3 sq meters). Been playing with this calculator. If I doing it right, a 3 sq meter surface rated at 2000pa should be able to handle a 130mph wind??? 4000pa up to 180mph wind. Am I doing that calculation right? I presuming tilted would be less of a problem than vertical?
6) Recommended source for mounting brackets?
7) Is there a "rule of thumb" for budgeting ground mounting system?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Last edited:

Using them was money well spent for the ease of installing my first DIY solar system.

1. It would probably be ok but normally you clamp the sides at about 1/3 and 2/3 up.
2. Probably not in the short term, but kits come with aluminum clamps.
3. Panels have different frame thicknesses requiring different clamp thickness.
4. Yes. It's because AC ripple currents can induce voltage, and also in case of a DC to frame fault.
5. I don't know this one.
6. EG4 brightmount, Ironridge, Unistrut are all mounting systems that include compatible brackets. If you're going to build out of wood or something then I don't know about that.

Just to clarify... currently (might change) thinking that I would buy the panels by the pallet directly from someone like sunwatts.com. I'm pretty enthralled with Victron electronics, so wouldn't be buying a kit, just the panels.

If you're still in the planning phase I would focus on getting your inverter and battery system up and running first. Many people have found themselves sitting on a pallet of solar panels for a year or two cause they got ahead of themselves. (As I look out the window at my pallet).

Build the inverter and batteries, build the mounts, then when that's done go solar panel shopping and they'll be cheaper than they are today.

If you're still in the planning phase I would focus on getting your inverter and battery system up and running first. Many people have found themselves sitting on a pallet of solar panels for a year or two cause they got ahead of themselves. (As I look out the window at my pallet).

Build the inverter and batteries, build the mounts, then when that's done go solar panel shopping and they'll be cheaper than they are today.

Actually, my first Victron Multiphase is on order. That one will be 120V office electronics. Phase 2 will be a pair of them for 240V split phase and will be a 48V system. Phase 3 will be adding solar to the Phase 2 battery bank. Just trying to think and plan ahead, not buying ahead (especially since prices seem to be slowly dropping).

Most clamps have a cleat that grips two panels at a time, with a bolt between them.

Most cleats are aluminum, most hardware i have seen is stainless.

Back