diy solar

diy solar

Panel roof mounting

derbuechsenmacher

As part of my project I will be mounting panels to a metal roof. I’ve seen videos of rv installs with no drilling (in fact I have done this on my OFFGRID camper setup - camper is stationary on a piece of property, so I don’t need to worry about them coming off going down the road). The building is an all steel building with a relatively shallow roof pitch, so in this case I’d like to angle the panels about 30 degrees). In my camper I went low tech using 2inch aluminum angle screwed into the frame and industrial adhesive to the roof. I was thinking of something similar here, just using some bigger angle so I can have a pivot on the bottom bracket, and some structure on the top mount. Any suggestions

What kind of metal roof? If it's the typical raised rib they sell connectors that use 3 screws into the raised rib. One from the top, and a screw from each side. You're not screwing into the decking, or underlayment.
I used the abs pedestal mounts for the roof of an RV or camper. I used flat patio blocks to hold them down. Until last hurricane season. I broke down and squirted a bunch of silicone adhesive, and one screw for each panel along the edge. I was surprised to see they survived the 125mph hour wind gusts. The fence blew away, but the panels on the roof stayed. I also have no leaks, so this year I'm going to add another screw, and more adhesive under the 2nd pad of every outer panel.

What kind of metal roof? If it's the typical raised rib they sell connectors that use 3 screws into the raised rib. One from the top, and a screw from each side. You're not screwing into the decking, or underlayment.
I used the abs pedestal mounts for the roof of an RV or camper. I used flat patio blocks to hold them down. Until last hurricane season. I broke down and squirted a bunch of silicone adhesive, and one screw for each panel along the edge. I was surprised to see they survived the 125mph hour wind gusts. The fence blew away, but the panels on the roof stayed. I also have no leaks, so this year I'm going to add another screw, and more adhesive under the 2nd pad of every outer panel.
It is a standing seam metal roof. I’m planning on 2 rows of panels eventually, the first row (closest to the edge) will be flat on the roof, and the second will be angled about 30 degrees (so as to not be blocked by the first row). Strings will be separate parallel circuits such that the back can provide some power in the winter if there is snow on the roof

Back