diy solar

diy solar

Simple ground mount for 4-200w panels for about $75

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
Thought I would post up my inexpensive ground mount setup I just built for adding some more solar panels to my mix. This is a fixed angle arrangement. My other panels are on fully adjustable mounts but overtime I am finding it seems to work OK by simply keeping a yearly constant angle. The panels are different in size since they were bought at different times but are rated very close for Voc, Vmp, Imp and Ioc. They will be 2S2P once connected.

Material list:
2- 8ft Landscape timbers Pressure treated (that I had on hand)
2- 2X4X10ft PT
2- 2X4X8ft PT
2- Hurricane ties (had these)
Screws and washers (had most of this)
2- bags concrete mix (I used some aggregate and Portland cement I had on hand)

The posts were set down 2 and 1/2 feet (friend had a tractor mounted auger to shoot the holes) back filled and aligned as in the pictures with a few waste boards.

In order to clamp the outside edges of the panels I bent washers at a angle in a vise (See pic. of bent washers and screw). In order to simplify mounting the panels there is two screws set into the top brace that engages the panels aluminum frame holes. That way I simply put the panel on those screws, like hanging a picture or clock, and then attached the hold down screws center and outside edges of the panels.

If you go this route realize the post are likely only good for 5-15 years. I have used these posts for various projects before and have some that are still going after 20 years but I also had some fail at around 7-8 years.

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    680.8 KB · Views: 72
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 76
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    687.8 KB · Views: 77
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 82
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 83
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 78
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 76
Looks better than my "temporary" driveway ground mount for 6-455w panels.

With the tornadoes rolling through my State this past weekend was able to observe how the mounting system would handle gusty wind conditions (my area saw 50MPH+ wind speeds). Was undisturbed though there was lots of tree branches and old dead wood brought down. So I was happy to see I avoided any damage. Severe Spring storms are forecast again for Tuesday so more testing opportunities.

Thought I would post up my inexpensive ground mount setup I just built for adding some more solar panels to my mix. This is a fixed angle arrangement. My other panels are on fully adjustable mounts but overtime I am finding it seems to work OK by simply keeping a yearly constant angle. The panels are different in size since they were bought at different times but are rated very close for Voc, Vmp, Imp and Ioc. They will be 2S2P once connected.

Material list:
2- 8ft Landscape timbers Pressure treated (that I had on hand)
2- 2X4X10ft PT
2- 2X4X8ft PT
2- Hurricane ties (had these)
Screws and washers (had most of this)
2- bags concrete mix (I used some aggregate and Portland cement I had on hand)

The posts were set down 2 and 1/2 feet (friend had a tractor mounted auger to shoot the holes) back filled and aligned as in the pictures with a few waste boards.

In order to clamp the outside edges of the panels I bent washers at a angle in a vise (See pic. of bent washers and screw). In order to simplify mounting the panels there is two screws set into the top brace that engages the panels aluminum frame holes. That way I simply put the panel on those screws, like hanging a picture or clock, and then attached the hold down screws center and outside edges of the panels.

If you go this route realize the post are likely only good for 5-15 years. I have used these posts for various projects before and have some that are still going after 20 years but I also had some fail at around 7-8 years.
I think I'm gonna do something similar to that for my backyard panels.

Back