diy solar

diy solar

24v bank 8x12v advice

DontUredRing

Came across 4 of these that were originally wired for 48v in series and parallel. I want to rewire them into 24v, but this doesn't look right. I guess I'm overthinking it. I'll have 4 total banks like this that will run to individual breakers and then to bus bars. Unfortunately, the batteries will have to stay oriented this way, but does anyone have any suggestions on a better way to wire these? As you can see, all of these 12v batteries are currently set up with 2 in series (24v) and 6 in parallel (12v). The series is not connected yet because this doesn't seem right. By "banks", I mean 4 of what you see right here and each bank needs to be 24v. I have 32 of these batteries total, 8 in each tray or "bank". Also, when connecting the series to the parallel, would the polarity become reversed? Positive to negative for 24v and then negative all the way down that side for the parallel, and then, negative to positive for the other side of the 24v and then positive all the way down for the other side of the parallel seems "off" to me....

Attachments

• 1000047780.jpg
    1000047780.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 12
Your pictured wiring of the the 1 bank unless I am missing something is a large 12vDC parallel setup. I am guessing the 4 banks of these are wired in series to get the 48vDc you mention.
Battery 1-2 leave wired as shown but cut the wires to 3
Battery 3-4 leave cut wires to 5
B 5-6 leave cut wires to 7
B 7-8 leave.

You now have 4 12-vDC batteries. Hook the red wire of B1-2 to the black wire of B3-4, from the black wire of B1-2 run to load (neg) and the red wire of B3-4 runs to load (pos). This is one 24vDC battery.

Do the same to your next set of 2 dual batteries. Your 4 outgoing load wires can then be connected pos to pos out to load and neg to neg out to load.

Each bank of 8 than will be 24vDC.

ETA: BTW test each set for proper voltage after connecting.

2nd edit: BTW if you want 24vDC using all of your 4 banks you could more easily take 2 banks of present 12vDC and wire them in series.

Last edited:
Your pictured wiring of the the 1 bank unless I am missing something is a large 12vDC parallel setup. I am guessing the 4 banks of these are wired in series to get the 48vDc you mention.
B 7-8 leave.

You now have 4 12-vDC batteries. Hook the red wire of B1-2 to the black wire of B3-4, from the black wire of B1-2 run to load (neg) and the red wire of B3-4 runs to load (pos). This is one 24vDC battery.

Do the same to your next set of 2 dual batteries. Your 4 outgoing load wires can then be connected pos to pos out to load and neg to neg out to load.

Ok, lets see if I'm understanding you correctly. Each tray of 8 batteries is what I'm referring to as a bank. So parallel each tray of 8x 12v batteries into 4x 12v batteries, then series the 2 blocks of 4 in the tray into 24v?

Attachments

• 20240216_133807.jpg
    20240216_133807.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
B 7-8 leave.

2nd edit: BTW if you want 24vDC using all of your 4 banks you could more easily take 2 banks of present 12vDC and wire them in parallel instead of series.
I forgot to add that each tray of 8 batteries was 48v total originally, with 2 sets of 4 @ 48v. 2 blocks of 4 in each tray, with 2 positive loads and 2 negative loads, and then those parallel on the load side

I forgot to add that each tray of 8 batteries was 48v total originally, with 2 sets of 4 @ 48v. 2 blocks of 4 in each tray, with 2 positive loads and 2 negative loads, and then those parallel on the load side
They would have been wired differently than your image. Each tray (or bank) has 8-12vDC batteries in it. It would take 4 wired in series to get 48vDC. Then another 4S followed by putting these in parallel (pos to pos, neg to neg). People refer to such a arrangment as 4s2P.

Ok, lets see if I'm understanding you correctly. Each tray of 8 batteries is what I'm referring to as a bank. So parallel each tray of 8x 12v batteries into 4x 12v batteries, then series the 2 blocks of 4 in the tray into 24v?
No. you never cross pos and neg of your output wires. Plus which once you connect batteries in either series or parallel they are considered 1 battery at that point onward.

No. you never cross pos and neg of your output wires. Plus which once you connect batteries in either series or parallel they are considered 1 battery at that point onward.
Right, ok I understand now. It's been a long day and I was severely overthinking it. 4S2P is what each tray was originally but I didn't include that pic, only the pic of the huge mistake I was about to make. I knew crossing the loads sounded off, and I'm glad I clarified because that would've made lots of fireworks. I understand the confusion now why some people say series first and others say parallel first. Thanks a bunch!

Right, ok I understand now. It's been a long day and I was severely overthinking it. 4P2S is what each tray was originally but I didn't include that pic, only the pic of the huge mistake I was about to make. I knew crossing the loads sounded off, and I'm glad I clarified because that would've made lots of fireworks. I understand the confusion now why some people say series first and others say parallel first. Thanks a bunch!
Sorry but I am getting mentally worn out. Just remember Series and parallel setups. Series adds voltage and parallel adds current.

Last edited:
Back