diy solar

diy solar

Series/Parallel wiring (24V) and wire sizing

31ectr0nicb0b

The following is my build thread in case anyone wants to see more detail, not that there is much just starting, pretty much a noob.

My main questions are:
  • Given my setup, 24V battery bank (400Ah 24V), FlexPower One, VFXR3524 inverter and FM 80 charge controller, does this wiring plan for the batteries look ok? I have seen wiring diagrams where the parallel wiring is created first between [2]12V batteries and then series wiring, according to my plan, I am doing the opposite. Any pros cons?
    • I am thinking this way depicted below would be the best way in terms of using least amount of wire.
  • Where do I run the main positive (+) and negative (-) to the FlexPower One? Off the right side of the image below?
    • And what gauge wire should these mains be?
  • I am planning on using 1/0 wire for all of the connections. Adequate?

sp1.jpgsp3.jpg

Attachments

• sp2.jpg
    sp2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
My main questions are:
  • Given my setup, 24V battery bank (400Ah 24V), FlexPower One, VFXR3524 inverter and FM 80 charge controller, does this wiring plan for the batteries look ok? I have seen wiring diagrams where the parallel wiring is created first between [2]12V batteries and then series wiring, according to my plan, I am doing the opposite. Any pros cons?
    • I am thinking this way depicted below would be the best way in terms of using least amount of wire.

Looks fine.

• Where do I run the main positive (+) and negative (-) to the FlexPower One? Off the right side of the image below?

No.

Your main leads need to draw from opposite ends. Main (-) on one end and the main (+) on the other end.

• And what gauge wire should these mains be?

Sized for the current they need to transfer.

Interconnects and main leads need to be the same size.

• I am planning on using 1/0 wire for all of the connections. Adequate?

Is that sufficient to handle the needed current?

Oops, forgot to give those details, so VFXR3524 inverter is 3500W output and it is a 24V battery system, 3500/24 is ~145A.

The Southwire voltage drop app on my phone for 10' run (I probably wont have more than a 5' main (+-) run from batteries to inverter) for 24V and 3% voltage drop and 150A is 1/0 AWG.

Does the image above look good now for the main +,- at opposite ends of the battery bank?

Last edited:
Oops, forgot to give those details, so VFXR3524 inverter is 3500W output and it is a 24V battery system, 3500/24 is ~145A.

3500W/25.6V/.85 = 161A

85% efficient. Yes, your inverter has a higher efficiency spec than 85%, but that's at about 30% rated power. It decreases as power output increases. 85% is a conservative

The Southwire voltage drop app on my phone for 10' run (I probably wont have more than a 5' main (+-) run from batteries to inverter) for 24V and 3% voltage drop and 150A is 1/0 AWG.

1/0 would yield a 1.24% voltage drop. You would need to get 90°C or better rated cable. 60 or 75°C cable does not have sufficient rating to handle 161A.

You have a lot of connections. Make sure all connections are properly torqued.

Does the image above look good now for the main +,- at opposite ends of the battery bank?

Yes.

Back