diy solar

diy solar

panels in series or parallel or combination?

Finbarr

Hi Guys. I have 4x165 panels that i want to charge my leisure battery bank on my narrowboat. Would somebody tell me the pros and cons of each wiring configuration. I expect to install them in one line.

Without the specification of what charge controller you have, no meaningful answer can be given. What controller do you have? What are the specifications of your panels. The answers change based on the numbers you provide.

Also amp hours and voltage of battery, plus battery chemistry would be helpful

Parallel.
Pros-- shaded panels don't stop other panels from producing. Voltages don't add, so if your Mmpt solar charge controller has a limited input voltage range, say 12 to 50v, and panels are say 20v, you can run them.
cons-- have to fuse each panel usually. Amps add together, may exceed your SCC amperage limit. Higher amps means larger wires. Wire connectors have amp limits, the common mc4 connectors may be exceeded. May not oroduce power early and late in day, as voltage may not be enough to trigger the SCC. Voltage losses more on low voltage, high amps

Series.
Pro and con the ecact reverse of above.
Pro-- higher voltage, less amps, may let you fit more watts into the specs of your SCC. Smaller cables. Connectors may not be exceeded. One fuse for whole string. Voltages add so may allow charging earlier and later in day. Less voltage loss. More efficient for SCC to operate at higher voltages usually.
Con-- added voltages, plus their cold temperature correction, may exceed the allowed input of your SCC.

In general, series is best if able. parallel for shading issues, or series panels exceed scc voltage inputs.
Oh, also on a boat, some folks like to keep voltages below certain levels for safety, I believe.

Back