diy solar

diy solar

Series or parallel connection?

CGW_6_Actual

Wolf Wrangler
I have this inverter:
https://www.vevor.com/off-grid-sola...r-controller-dc-24v-to-ac-110v-p_010723672112

And 8 of these panels, currently only have 6 connected (2 panel series groups with the 3 groups paralleled). As of now I only have 2 flooded batteries on it, a pair of marine deep cycles that are rated 600cca/160 reserve amps that are connected in series.
My panels for now are flat mounted on a flat roof and not shaded, but I am not having the batteries stay charged during the day without having to start the generator. If I stick with 6 panels or add the additional 2, is there a better way to connect that would help?

Attachments

• received_688885312987859.jpeg
    received_688885312987859.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 13
Your AIO is a PWM SCC model. Being limited to max 80vDC PV is going to really crimp what you can gain from your panels. The panels are 37Voc therefore 2 in series =74Voc which is uncomfortably close to exceeding rating.

Likely since your batteries are CCA rated versus amp hour they will not be all that good at sustained charge/discharge cycling of a solar setup. For a boat occasional use they are fine.

Your components are not really what you want for anything but learning from.

Batteries are going to be replaced with lithiums as soon as they arrive (a pair of 24v 200ah in parallel) and at some time down the road I will be upgrading the AIO as well. This was a purchase just to get up and running with a few lights, a computer, and internet at an off grid property. Eventually I'll probably end up adding more batteries and going 48v, it seems to be more flexible.

Understood. So you will want to maximize what you have now in the interim. I would think that 6 panels of 230w should charge the batteries without problem if your AIO is working properly and the panels are setup in sufficient sunlight. Likely you only have about 1000wh available from the battery if fully charged. Your panels should be delivering in the area of 1000w each hour for several hours a day.

Do you have any readout of what the panels are sending to the AIO and what the battery is receiving?

You really need to change the panel angle.
I have 3 strings of identical panels, 12 panels each.
One at 47 degrees and two almost flat.

Each string is facing south, no shade etc.
The 1 string at 47 degrees produces some days as much as the 2 others combined.

I dont have any readings currently, but I can get up there and take some. I know having them flat isn't ideal, it wont be until May or so that I can tear them down and redo it. Can this AIO handle all 8 panels in parallel?

Each panel puts out 7.8A
Probably less due to being flat - maybe 3A.

8 parallel could be 62.4A (realistically 24A)

Inverter can handle it, worst case it will not utilize the full current available. Do a search for keyword "clipping".

Back