diy solar

diy solar

adding 12v batteries to 24v battery bank

mmm33732

I currently have a 24v system running 2 LifePO4 24v,100ah batteries in parallel. I wanted to add another battery, but noticed it's quite a bit cheaper to get 2 12v, 100ah batteries (same manufacturer) rather than another single 24v 100ah battery. I realize these would need wired in a series and then in parallel with the rest of the bank to be 24v. Looking at the ratings of the 12v batteries, they are exactly half of the 24v batteries I currently have. I assume it's essentially just 2 of those in a case to make the 24v ones I have anyways. Now I know it's generally not recommended to mix batteries, but since these are the same manufacturer and would end up with the same specs running the 2 12v in series, is there any foreseeable issues that would cause a recommendation of not mixing them as I'm considering? Again, I'd like to do this because in the end, its quite a bit cheaper and also allows more versatility/flexibility, should I later change to another voltage. This pic hopefully clarifies what I'm talking about.

batt.png

I would take the low cost path, I don't see any major issue with this especially when paralleled with other batteries, the loads are shared so over limiting a BMS is unlikely for the two in series.

Issues? The 12volt batteries can become out of balance with each other since the BMSs do not talk to each other.

Issues? The 12volt batteries can become out of balance with each other since the BMSs do not talk to each other.

So can the 24V internally which in this case the (2) 24V don't talk to each other, its really no different having two x4 vs one x8 bms. The only major issue would be series, one can BMS disconnect and no power ( single string ), not likely to happen with 3x in parallel

Back