diy solar

diy solar

24v Inverter Choice - Class C RV

Colton K

Hey All,
My wife and I are about to upgrade our 2009 Class C RV and take it on the road full time to travel and work remotely. We are currently looking to add ~2000w of rooftop solar, ~10KW battery storage but I am looking for some confirmation on the correct inverter choice before purchasing.

Choices are:
1. Victron Quattro 24/5000/120-100 (Likely what we need)
2. Victron MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50
3. Ecoflow Power Kit

Large/Important AC loads include:
1. AC - No easy/soft start (but could be added) - Being in the southern states and MX it is very important to us that this can be operational at all times for our Dog's comfort/safety - Dometic Unit 13,500 BTU
2. Work Desktop/Laptop - As a video game developer I normally work on a desktop PC with 800w + PSU that normally draws 300-400w. I will likely move to a higher-end laptop for traveling (200-250w)
3. TV/monitor - LG OLED C3 - 80w
4. PS5

Ideally we could save some money and go with the multiplus but I am worried the 2200-2400w will not be sufficient, does anyone have any insight? Do you think the multiplus would be sufficient with a soft start?

Cheers,
Colton

Edit: We intend to be off-grid as often as possible

Quattro only helps if you have onboard genset which is great as 2 inputs.

Id go with a 2x120 model so you get 50a shore if you plan on being on shore sometimes, especially if just to overnight charge and leave. Also remember you can get 2 inverters and parallel them so you'd have 6000w. Something you can upgrade later if needed.

I have 4 dometics 13.5k and 15k without easy starts and they usually trip my overload on my Quattro 5000s but still work fine. Without an easy start you'll have a ton of issues.

The AC should be 1400w ish. So you'll only have 1000w for the pc and others, will be tough cooking or microwave but possible.

10kw of batteries and 1500w load, you're looking at 6-7 hours runtime. You'd hope to get 5 hours back from 2kw solar.

My 5kw Quattros are about 40w idle load each where as I've seen others report their MP 3000s are 9-27w. That alone burns about 10% of battery a day vs 5%

@justinm001 Thanks for the reply! Here are some extra thoughts:

- We do have a 4000 onan gen but there is already a transfer switch built into the vehicle
- Good point about future upgradability - I did think about the 2 MPs in parallel but I was worried about added complexity and limited space
- From the factory the RV is wired for 30A shore power
- Stove is propane but might use a slow cooker/crock pot

With this new information would you still recommend MP?

Yes they make 5000w MP, the only real difference between MP and Quattro is the transfer switch is built in. This is a major increase as if you rip out the original transfer switch and use it, then you can track how much power comes from genset and from shore. If it has an auto start wire you can use that and have the cerbogx turn on the generator as needed. Also set different input ratings so 38a or whatever for genset and 30a or whatever for shore. Theyre adding more options to prioritize solar over shore so it's nice to have the Quattro as when the genny runs it doesn't do this, so will straight full charge batteries, letting the genny run for much shorter which is nicer.

If you have 30a and using original transfer switch, aren't you limited to 30a (3600w) into the circuit breaker? You might not be able to even use close to that 5000w. I'd dig into that and see. If able to upgrade from 30a to 50a even just 120v it'll help.

Something to consider is when on 30a shore you only get 2880w (80% the victron will lower after a bit automatically) and the 70a charger can use up to 1700w of that so if you're at a CG plugged in you cant fully charge while running AC. We typically pull into CGs late at night then leave early am, just to sleep, flush tanks and recharge then off to an event, and learned how important it is to max charge with a larger battery bank. Many times we wouldn't get a fill charge.

diy solar

diy solar
Back