diy solar

diy solar

3000w inverter - narrowed down to 3.

Larry619

I’m looking to build a portable 24V solar generator for emergencies similar to the Titan.

I’ll likely only be pulling 1800-2500w continuous for short household tasks but I’m thinking about going with a 3000w inverter just for the overhead. For example, my wife’s 2000w hair dryer pulls closer to 2100w. My 1100w microwave actually pulls closer to 1900w. I know that a kitchen size fridge and washing machine only run at 600-700 watts but the motor can surge quite a bit.

I’ve narrowed my sights on 3 inverters that differ wildly on price. I’m not keen spending $900 on a Samlex but I could be swayed. Unless anyone can recommend something else or convince me the “cheaper” inverters are adequate for emergency use.

Ordered by cost:
1) $335 Reliable 3000w 24V:

2) $489 Giandel 3000w 24V - Will’s pick:

3) $846 Samlex 24VPST
Samlex 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter - 24V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EX48IL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NOQPEbA8PYN0J

For example, my wife’s 2000w hair dryer pulls closer to 2100w.

That seems odd.
If it has a nema 5-15p connector on it it should not exceed 15amps@120vac=1800watts.
Does it have have a 5-20p connector?

IF you are concerned about surge you could consider a LF inverter. MUCH heavier due to the transformer but is rated to handle 9KW surge for up to 20 seconds.

See here:

No experience YET but I have a 48v version shipping tomorrow.

I’m looking to build a portable 24V solar generator for emergencies similar to the Titan.

I’ll likely only be pulling 1800-2500w continuous for short household tasks but I’m thinking about going with a 3000w inverter just for the overhead. For example, my wife’s 2000w hair dryer pulls closer to 2100w. My 1100w microwave actually pulls closer to 1900w. I know that a kitchen size fridge and washing machine only run at 600-700 watts but the motor can surge quite a bit.

I’ve narrowed my sights on 3 inverters that differ wildly on price. I’m not keen spending $900 on a Samlex but I could be swayed. Unless anyone can recommend something else or convince me the “cheaper” inverters are adequate for emergency use.

Ordered by cost:
1) $335 Reliable 3000w 24V:

2) $489 Giandel 3000w 24V - Will’s pick:

3) $846 Samlex 24VPST
Samlex 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter - 24V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EX48IL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NOQPEbA8PYN0J
The description on the Samlex is odd...
  • AC Connection Type NONE; Power - Surge Rating NONE; Voltage - Input Range (Volts) NONE; Voltage - Inverter Input 24V; Voltage - Inverter Output NONE; Waterproof NONE; Waveform True Sine Wave
  • Connection Type NONE
  • GFCI NONE
  • Outlet Qty 2 Duplex GFCI
  • Power - Output (Watts) 3000W

What is up with all the NONE?

The description on the Samlex is odd...
  • AC Connection Type NONE; Power - Surge Rating NONE; Voltage - Input Range (Volts) NONE; Voltage - Inverter Input 24V; Voltage - Inverter Output NONE; Waterproof NONE; Waveform True Sine Wave
  • Connection Type NONE
  • GFCI NONE
  • Outlet Qty 2 Duplex GFCI
  • Power - Output (Watts) 3000W
What is up with all the NONE?
Bad product listing?

I've the (12v) Giandel 3000/6000w and its good. low standby power and runs my washing machine(1800w), dishwasher and hoover (2200w) without issue despite the initial inductive loads of these motors. And its always running my fridge/freezer - again with a huge start up surge every time it clicks on.

Got to get subscribed to this thread. I have 1 major project and 1 minor project I have to complete before I can handle building the backup system. Got plans in my head ... but specifics like the inverter is not known. This is a great discussion.

That seems odd.
If it has a nema 5-15p connector on it it should not exceed 15amps@120vac=1800watts.
Does it have have a 5-20p connector?

I stand corrected! I must have confused the hair dryer with another appliance. You’re right, it doesn’t exceed 1500w with a 5-15p connector.

I’m still inclined to go with a 3000w inverter for the overhead, though.

Attachments

• 3AF6F792-1D0F-4E1E-9059-93E7D71609E1.jpeg
    3AF6F792-1D0F-4E1E-9059-93E7D71609E1.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 10
IF you are concerned about surge you could consider a LF inverter. MUCH heavier due to the transformer but is rated to handle 9KW surge for up to 20 seconds.

See here:

No experience YET but I have a 48v version shipping tomorrow.

I passed on the LF inverters due to size AND cost. I initially saw this sold under Solargeni for his Tesla powerwall build but it’s priced at a whopping $1200. ?

However, I see a post down this thread sold under a different name for $629! Even though that places it in between the cost of a Giandel and Samlex, What’s REALLY attractive is that It has a built in 50A charger! Most of the 24V chargers at that amperage are in the $200+ range.

Even though this is bigger and heavier (by 25lbs) I may be seriously looking into this unit!

None of the units on your short list have a configurable low voltage cutoff.
Its a good feature to protect your batteries.

Here's another take on the Sigineer, which is imported. I have one and it works great. It handles microwave, air compressor, vacuum, heavy loads just fine. Good clean sine wave.

THANK YOU for this link. The $629 price is killer since this unit is both an inverter and a 50a charger. It’s less than the Samlex option, likely more robust with surge loads, and it has a charger. ?

None of the units on your short list have a configurable low voltage cutoff.
Its a good feature to protect your batteries.

Great point! My LiFePo4 battery build is planned with a Daly 24v 8s 200A BMS. Is it still necessary to have a programmable LVC on thE inverter? I thought the BMS would cut off the load?

Great point! My LiFePo4 battery build is planned with a Daly 24v 8s 200A BMS. Is it still necessary to have a programmable LVC on thE inverter? I thought the BMS would cut off the load?

The Daly BMS low voltage cutoff is likely going to be way lower than you want.
For lifepo4 I recommend 24.0 volts and the cutoff point.

Have any of you come across the EPEVER brand? I bought their tracer3210AN solar controller which is well built. I note they have a 3000W pure sinewave inverter... Can be found on aliexpress/ebay for about 440USD Model SHI3000. Might be worth a look?

Damn.. I think they are only 220-240v so no good for those in the Americas...

The Daly BMS low voltage cutoff is likely going to be way lower than you want.
For lifepo4 I recommend 24.0 volts and the cutoff point.

Dang @smoothJoey and @MisterSandals ...I take one step forward and I get knocked 5 steps back. I had not taken into consideration the low voltage cut off on these inverters. I thought the BMS would suffice but now even those are too low for comfort.

The Giandel cuts off at 19.2 volts and the Daly cuts way too close to the danger zone. I tried running down the path of the Victron LVD (BP220) and that’s a bad idea, too. Looked at the Chargery BMS and that sounds promising but definitely not easy to program.

What other options are there? Inverters with programable LVD? Better BMS options? Or just be diligent with my battery monitoring? ?

Back