diy solar

diy solar

300A(+) BMS with 80A(+) input? (Not chargery)

Watch Me Build

I bought 20 of the 280AH cells from Alibaba (lightning). And am looking for a 16s BMS to pair the 48v battery to an mpp solar 3048. The 3048 has an 80A mppt controller, but most BMS I am finding in the 300A discharge range only accept up to 50A charge input.

I don't plan on pulling anywhere near this much power, but I'd like the BMS to be oversized enough to handle half of it's rating (maybe even 1/3rd. Just standard cabin loads. No air-conditioning. And a 12v fridge)

I was leaning towards this unit, because I want something programmable with a low temp sensor, but just realized it only inputs up to 50A. https://www.ebay.com/itm/283272323348

So are there any reliable BMS out there that can handle what I'm looking for that isn't a chargery? I'm looking for an all in one solution if it's possible.

What amperage do you have? I was thinking get the 320A, and limit it to 160 discharge in the settings. But i'd like to be able to maximize the 80A mppt if possible with the 4000w of panels I'm hooking up to it.

Are you hooked directly into the battery from the mppt on the positive side, and using the BMS for the load side?

I just rewatched Will's video on the ant bms, and that seems to be the way he's doing it. direct to the battery from the mpp solar unit.

you hook it up at the negative side of your bank.
i made a box with all the wires in side with the breakers, in the front of the door i made a raspberry pi that running android with the ant bms app

I just pulled the trigger on a 300A unit. Guess I was overthinking things. Even with 2 3048's in parallel, it's only a 6000w draw max. So this will fit the bill as far as being oversized for what I need it to do. I'll probably have to add/replace the leads to thicker guage wire, but it seems good otherwise.

Thanks for your input.

Hey, I'm getting 16 of those 280Ah batteries as well, to run with the 3048LV Growatt with similar specs as the MPP Solar. Did you get the ANT BMS that you showed the link for (320Ah) in your first post? Let us know if you run into anything tricky in the configuration.

Yes I ordered this... It's still in the shipping phase.

I also ordered a 4s JBD one to use with the mpp 1012 for the extra 4 cells I ordered... I will report any issues if they arise, but I won't be building the 16 cell system for a few months I would imagine.

The 4s 12v I will be doing right away for a school bus.

Hey, I'm getting 16 of those 280Ah batteries as well, to run with the 3048LV Growatt with similar specs as the MPP Solar. Did you get the ANT BMS that you showed the link for (320Ah) in your first post? Let us know if you run into anything tricky in the configuration.

i have the 8s to 20s 300 amp works fine on 150 ah lithium 18650 packs

yes, the only think you have to watch out for is the connections you have the 7s and 8s option the diagram is different

yes, the only think you have to watch out for is the connections you have the 7s and 8s option the diagram is different
Yeah the connection for 8s is different in that 2 cables go on cell 4, I have also observed that cell 3 or 4 usually misbehave and I wonder if any other ANT BMS user here is experiencing the same thing? I did a video of the behaviour:

Am using the 320A version

I ended up getting this BMS off ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8S-10S-24S-Lifepo4-li-ion-Lipo-LTO-Battery-Protection-Board-Bluetooth-Smart-BMS/312721653175?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=611761820014&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 Anyone tried it? I'll have 48 Volts of 280Ah batteries hooked up to this. It has Two 8AWG wires on the B+ and B- sides. Thinking I should have at least a single 2AWG on each side. Any thoughts on this?
It's what I currently use for my 16 280AH 24v setup run as 2p8s. It works fine

Back