diy solar

diy solar

400W LFP-backed balcony power plant

juepi

Hello friends of sunshine,

My name is Juergen and i live in not-so-hot-and-sunny Austria. ;)

A few days ago, i've finished my 8S / 105Ah LFP backed "balcony power plant" and i'd like to share the experience i've made with this project with you:

* Buying the LFP cells
I've read/watched a lot on the internet and i've finally decided to get my cells from Jenny Wu at DocanTech. I've received the cells in the promised timeframe, also DDP shipment worked perfectly well, the order was placed on alibaba.com and there was no additional tax charged when i picked up the package from our local delivery company (DPD in that case).
The cells were packaged well and did not show any signs of damage, all barcodes on the EVE LF105 cells were readable, copper busbars included - everything fine (y)
I did not have the possibility to measure the internal resistance of the cells, but i have charged ~75Ah into every cell before top-balancing them for a week.

* The BMS
I decided to use a passively cooled 150A Daly Smart-BMS. The main reason i bought this unit was, because I've already managed to get data readouts through the UART interface on a previous "lab setup" (40A Smart-BMS with 4S LFP 6Ah cylindric cells), which was an important factor for me, as i wanted to use a MCU to fetch data from the battery and control my loads through the MCU.
I'm pretty happy with the Daly-BMS, but there are some things which you should be aware of:
* The internal passive balancer of the BMS is completely useless (as we all know i guess ;))
* the BMS is not able to register low currents (with the 150A version, less than 2A are not recognized) - so you probably do NOT want to rely on the SOC which the BMS reports
* if you are planning to read data through the UART port, make sure to use a digital UART-aware isolator (like ADUM1201) between the BMS and your host system (MCU in my case) or you may fry your electronics sooner or later (ground wire of UART port on the BMS is battery ground, not system ground!)

* Victron SmartShunt and SmartSolar
So as i cannot rely on the Daly-BMS concerning the SOC, i decided to go for the Victron SmartShunt, and also use the SmartSolar charger to be able to benefit from the VE.smartnetworking feature. I'm 100% happy with that setup, i also use the VE.direct UART interface (also with ADUM1201 isolators) to fetch data from both devices, where the SmartShunt is now my primary (and only) source for the SOC on my MCU unit.

* The active balancer
I've decided to get a capacitive active balancer from Heltec and i've wired the "run" pins to a dedicated SSR on my MCU to be able to enable/disable the balancer on demand. Basically i'm using 2 (configurable) parameters to enable the balancer:
* at least one cell in the pack is above 3.4V
* the cell voltage difference between highest and lowest cell is above 30mV

I've added an additional "alarm mode" so the balancer kicks in if the voltage-diff exceeds 100mV at any voltage (SOC) state. However, i think i might kick out this function as i think i understood now thanks to this thread why it's only useful to enable the balancer while the battery is charging (or at least at a high SOC).

* The PV Panel
I've bought a 460W (STC) chinese panel from a local dealer and until now i'm quite happy with it. The highest power delivered by the panel was ~410W which seems perfectly fine to me, taking into account that the panel's datasheet states an NOCT Pmppt of 346W.

* The Case
As the battery is located in my basement, i wanted to make sure that the house won't burn down in case something goes wrong, so i put the whole setup (battery, BMS, balancer, Victron devices and fusebox with powerswitch) into an alloy box. Additionally, i've created some sort of "burning chamber" made of drywall and some tiles. As far as i can tell by now, it should be possible to keep the lid of the alloy box closed in terms of heat dissipated inside the case. Even at high PV power, the temperature near the SmartSolar charger (hotspot) in the box did not pass 35°C (95°F), the battery cells stay at 20~25°C.
One recommendation on selecting a box from my side: if you've found a box where you think that everything will fit in - buy the larger version! :rolleyes:

* The Micro-Inverter
I've decided to get a Hoymiles HM-300 inverter for several reasons:
* The inverters from Hoymiles are CE certified (which does not mean "china export", as you can think of on many cheap ali-inverters)
* The HM-300 has configurable output power which can be regulated with some cheap hardware and free software. This will allow me to setup zero-feed in the future (as soon as my grid provider gives me the ability to fetch live data from my SmartMeter)

* The MCU
I'm running a Lolin WEMOS S2 Mini ESP32 controller to fetch data through UART ports of the 3 devices and regulate my loads accordingly. The MCU sends data through WiFi to a local MQTT broker and also allows configuration parameters (in example, at which SOC to enable/disable loads) to be fetched by MQTT.
As a frontend, i use FHEM home automation, which has mostly historical reasons (started with FHEM because i use some HomeMatic devices).
BatteryController_Overview.png

I've placed all required sources (soft- and hardware) on Github if you're interested - but be warned: i'm a hobby programmer, so expect spaghetti code at it's finest (hopefully it's at least well documented)! :sneaky:

Attaching some photos of the battery box and additional hardware used.

Have fun and sunny weather,

yours,
Juergen

Attachments

• PXL_20230413_175401825.jpg
    PXL_20230413_175401825.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20230413_175414423.jpg
    PXL_20230413_175414423.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20230421_091031958.jpg
    PXL_20230421_091031958.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20230421_140642598.jpg
    PXL_20230421_140642598.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20230427_140519847.jpg
    PXL_20230427_140519847.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20230505_161825851.jpg
    PXL_20230505_161825851.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20230604_131103833.jpg
    PXL_20230604_131103833.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Very nice setup.

With a 15A limit on the MPPT, you're never going to see more than 440W on a 24V system. 410W sounds great to me.

Can you use a current sensor on your main panel cables to regulate zero export based on that rather than rely on power company to give you the data?

Very nice setup.

With a 15A limit on the MPPT, you're never going to see more than 440W on a 24V system. 410W sounds great to me.

Can you use a current sensor on your main panel cables to regulate zero export based on that rather than rely on power company to give you the data?

Thanks for the praise!

Of course you're right about the charger limit, however if i'd ever reach that limit, the SmartSolar would throw an according message on the MPPT state i think (something like "U/I limit"), which i haven't seen so far ;)

Yes, i could install dedicated measurement hardware in my main power distribution panel, but to be honest, i'm too lazy to do the required re-cabling (due to limited space in my panel).
Also the fact that i was already forced to have a Smart-Meter installed when i told my grid-provider that i want to install a "balcony power plant", and the provider is actually forced by austrian law to provide a possibility to the customer to get real-time data from the device, i'll just wait for my providers solution.

yours,
Juergen

Sweet!

I can't tell, are you switching PV input from the MPPT to the Micro Inverter?

I have a bunch of Enphase IQ7+ Micro, that I plan to feed DC from my batteries to dump into my home. I'll setup something to monitor my incoming grid so that I don't export.

I can't tell, are you switching PV input from the MPPT to the Micro Inverter?

Nope, PV input goes directly to the Victron SmartSolar into the battery. Battery output goes into the "grey box" with the MCU, which has 2 P-channel power-MOSFET switched outputs.
One of the switched outputs is connected to centralized DC supply for my IT "infrastructure" (cable modem, WiFi router and server), the other one supplies the HM-300 inverter.
So the inverter is battery-powered, which works perfectly well (as long as you obey the DC-input voltage range allowed by your inverter with your battery), which of course results in a better self-sufficiency rate.

If I'd install a power monitor, i'd use the EASTRON SDM630. A friend of mine is using that and it works very well and accurate, costs ~100 bucks at amazon.

yours,
Juergen

Last edited:
If I get it correctly, your inverter is grid tied. Have you limited the export to the grid or are you allowed to do it?
I'm thinking about a similar solution to yours but I need to disable grid export since national laws forbid it unless you have a contract with the provider to do that.

Back