diy solar

diy solar

400w Solar for RV - Critique my initial blue print

Spleeft

-Please critique my first draft blue print
-Disclaimer -Not the awsum Photoshop image that I wish I could do . Will clarify as needed. My goal is to avoid starting the 4k Onan generator when boondocking as much as possible and this is my gateway solar project.
-Ive purchased 4 HQST 100w panels so far, waiting to pull the trigger on everything else pending opinions, ( very VERY hard to do ha ha !! )
-Daily usage when boondocking = 60AH max / 110AH battery storage ( I already have 2-220ah 6v Full River AGMs in series with a Victron BMV 712 on RV tongue )
Thanks for any help

Attachments

• solarbluep1.jpg
    solarbluep1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 33
Looks good to me, the only considerations might be:
  1. I would personally series-up your panels up to the Max PV Voltage of your SCC i.e. 100V. This will reduce PV current and, therefore, PV losses (P=I²R) and gives the MPPT maximum range to track the power point. Don't do this is you have partial shading issues.
  2. You might consider protecting your battery bank from potential discharge from your 'DC Fuse Box' supplies.
  3. MC4 connectors can be difficult to disconnect, particularly in an emergency. Personally I would use an isolator switch.
  4. Use proper spec cables (e.g. PV cable is double insulated, UV resistant, tinned copper conductors etc) and connectors e.g. solid copper terminal on the inside, tinned corrosion resistant outside etc.
Good luck with your new system!

Thanks for the reply tictag !
  1. I would personally series-up your panels up to the Max PV Voltage of your SCC i.e. 100V. This will reduce PV current and, therefore, PV losses (P=I²R) and gives the MPPT maximum range to track the power point. Don't do this is you have partial shading issues.
  2. You might consider protecting your battery bank from potential discharge from your 'DC Fuse Box' supplies.
  3. MC4 connectors can be difficult to disconnect, particularly in an emergency. Personally I would use an isolator switch.
  4. Use proper spec cables (e.g. PV cable is double insulated, UV resistant, tinned copper conductors etc) and connectors e.g. solid copper terminal on the inside, tinned corrosion resistant outside etc.
1- It's going on my 30' RV tow trailer and we go to many different State/ Fed parks so shading could be an issue. If I were to add two more panels for a total of 6 100w, what would be your suggestions on S/P and placement on the roof?
2- if / when I add the DC panel I will def add a main fuse there.
3- I went with Blue Sea shut off switches between the PV and SCC and at the batteries.
4-This is something Ive been undecided about, I feel that 8awg would be best based on my run lengths. There is already a 10AWG "wired for solar" wire running from the roof to the OEM AC/DC panel area. But Im not putting the components/Inverter/ etc there, they are going under the front bed which is as close to the batteries on the tongue as I can get. So if I use it , I'll just be adding another 10' ( one way ) to a ~ 10 foot existing run which will make it a 20' ( 40' round trip ) . I'm leaning towards running a new 8AWG wire and just biting the bullet / drilling a new hole/ using a gland / most direct route/ etc. ( I posted a thread about this that's sorta derailed a little but I did learn some awsun stuff ! ) Making 8AWG PV to SCC wires .
Ive already purchased 50' of the wire Will recommended 10AWG but i can return it and get something better. Someone mentioned "Marine Tinned" and just make a custom junction box to combine everything without using MC4s on that thread with some links so Ill have to sift throug it. Do you have any specific suggestions? Everything I know about electric components Ive learend in the past 4 weeks researching so please be slightly specific.
Again, I really appreciate your time/ help !
Dean

I disagree. Running parallel "overall" is a better choice for boondocking due to shading.

1- It's going on my 30' RV tow trailer and we go to many different State/ Fed parks so shading could be an issue. If I were to add two more panels for a total of 6 100w, what would be your suggestions on S/P and placement on the roof?
Your SCC supports up to 100V and 100W panels usually have a Voc in the order of 21.6V, so a 3S2P configuration would use all of your panels and stay within the specs of your SCC.
2- if / when I add the DC panel I will def add a main fuse there.
I actually meant a means of cutting off the loads should your battery SoC get to the point that further discharge would damage it. There are other products available but checkout the Victron BatteryProtect modules. But yes, the line should be fused too, the fuse is there to protect the cabling from short circuit.
3- I went with Blue Sea shut off switches between the PV and SCC and at the batteries.
:)
4-This is something Ive been undecided about,....
The best way to spec any cable run it to consider the following three guidelines:
(1) The cable should support the expected load current
(2) The cable run should not drop more than 3% of the voltage across it
(3) The cable and connectors should be suited to the environment it will be operating in

(1) is dead easy, just checkout references such as this one. For example, if you're planning to have a 1,000W inverter, at peak load, 83A will be flowing on the DC side, and would, therefore, require a minimum of 6AWG or larger cable (btw, you have spec'ed 2AWG which would support up to 170A).

(2) needs a bit of simple maths. Taking your 50' 10AWG cable run as an example, per the link above, 10AWG copper cable has a resistance of 0.61mΩ per foot, so 30.5mΩ across your total cable run (0.61mΩ per foot x 50' = 30.5mΩ). Assuming you connect your panels in a 3S2P configuration, using your diagram, each string will generate 5.5A, so 11A reaching your MPPT at 54.6V (i.e. 600W). So you cable run will drop 0.34V or 0.6% of the supply voltage (V=IR = 11A x 30.5mΩ = 0.34V). This is good but it also indicates that you're probably over-spec'ing your cable. Some say that it's always best to over-spec cable but I don't agree with this, over-spec'ing cable just adds unnecessary weight and cost to your project without any appreciable benefit.

Additional note: P=I²R, so the amount of power you lose in a cable run is proportional to the square of the current flowing through it. More current means more losses. For example, a 3S2P configuration would generate 11A or 3.7W losses (P=I²R = 121A x 30.5mΩ = 3.7W), a 2S3P configuration would generate 16.5A or 8W losses, a 6P configuration would generate 33A or 33W losses in the cable run. So series is better to reduce losses, but parallel is better if shading is a problem. A 3S2P configuration would perhaps be a nice middle ground. If shading is of real concern, maybe a 2S3P configuration would work best for you. But I would certainly avoid an entirely parallel setup.

(3) just needs a bit of research. Cables that are out in the sun 24/7 need to be suited to that environment. 'Proper' PV cable and MC4 connectors are UV and abrasion resistant and won't corrode. Automotive or welding cable is usually best for inside with solid copper conductors and terminal lugs to reduce connection resistance. Read this article about just how significant connection resistance can be.

Not at all, I love learning! Thanks for that little lesson.

You will be fine with 10AWG for your applications ... also 8AWG is often difficult to work with with MC4 connectors ... honestly your trailer is small that odds are if one panel is shaded then they all are - I agree with tictag and would put everything in series ... I have seen ppl take 6 panels and put 2 each in series and then run the (3) connections to the SCC to help prevent SHADING affects ... also -- you might want to think about having at least a 150 Watt panel that you can put a 50 foot wire on to move it into the sunlight in case the other panels are shaded ..

Or you could get a 400w panel for 50 cents a watt from SanTanSolar and set that out on a 50 foot wire!

diy solar

diy solar
Back