diy solar

diy solar

48 Volt A/C Charger Recommendations? Something around 10 amps

NewGuy23

I have a dying 48v battery bank (8x200ah Renogy Hybrid Gel/AGM). I want to limp them along with a 48 volt battery charger. I have 30 amps of A/C power available. Can someone recommend a good battery charger that will deliver about 10-15 amps from the A/C power? I'd like one that can also charge lithium, as I plan to upgrade the batteries when I can afford to. Thanks in advance, this is a great group.

I bought from here:

I also got the programmer for custom charge profiles.

Last edited:
finding 48v AGM/gel battery charger can be difficult and expensive

It might actually be cheaper just to buy a discount 48v hybrid inverter to use as a battery charger

Looks great, this is the only thing that concerns me: Suitable for lead-acid (Pb) and li-i on batteries

finding 48v AGM/gel battery charger can be difficult and expensive

It might actually be cheaper just to buy a discount 48v hybrid inverter to use as a battery charger
That's what powers my system, but 30 amps isn't enough to activate the charger and have pass through power. It just switches back and forth from the panels to the A/C every few seconds.

That's what powers my system, but 30 amps isn't enough to activate the charger and have pass through power.

Yea I see the problem

You'd have to buy a second separate Hybrid and use to solely for battery charging, this would stop the pass-though issue you are having

15 amps from the A/C, 120 volts

I see , generally when we talk about battery charger we base it off their output ,

15a input X 110v = 1800w

1800w ÷ 48v = 37.5amp

So you need somewhere between a 30-40 amp 48v battery charger

How is that different from just using a 48 volt charger?

Price and availability mostly, Hybrid inverters have an AC/DC charger that is essentially the same as any other battery charger, it just happens to be built into the Hybrid

low end hybrid inverters generally come in a good bit cheaper than a large dedicated battery charger. (eg. 48v 3000w Hybrid are about £300 in the UK , price in the US might be different)

I can't get a suitable battery charger for anywhere near £300 here

I see , generally when we talk about battery charger we base it off their output ,

15a input X 110v = 1800w

1800w ÷ 48v = 37.5amp

So you need somewhere between a 30-40 amp 48v battery charger

Price and availability mostly, Hybrid inverters have an AC/DC charger that is essentially the same as any other battery charger, it just happens to be built into the Hybrid

low end hybrid inverters generally come in a good bit cheaper than a large dedicated battery charger. (eg. 48v 3000w Hybrid are about £300 in the UK , price in the US might be different)

I can't get a suitable battery charger for anywhere near £300 here
Like I said, I have a max of 30 amps available

Back