diy solar

diy solar

48V 50amp hybrid RV system

So what happens when you forget or someone else plugs into a different source.
I don’t need the worry, yes the 120x2 is easy, nothing to change or worry about.
Glad what you have works for you.
Huh, there's nothing to forget it operates the exact same as the 2x120. The switch as group option is just a 1 time setting you pick when you configure split phase.

If you plug in 120v to both legs the inverter will reject it and won't use it. Same if voltage is too high/low or not 60hz. You can plug 120v into either inverter or 240v and it works fine.

If you don't change the input limit on any Victron inverters it can overload the shore breaker and blow it. It let's the inverter know if you're on 15/30/50a so it stays below that limit and uses power assist to boost the input. Doesn't care if 120 or 240.

So what happens when you forget or someone else plugs into a different source.

The Victrons simply refuse to accept the incoming power, OR only one will connect randomly to one leg of the supplied 120V.

I don’t need the worry, yes the 120x2 is easy, nothing to change or worry about.
Glad what you have works for you.mine works, just would like a bit more inverted power.

The 2x120 units are for folks who want a cheap (for victron) simple solution at lower power. For folks that want more power, they're not great unless you're willing to parallel multiple 2x120 units and even then, they have limitations.

2X MP-II 3000 (or 5000) (non 2x120) configured in parallel for split phase operation with "switch as group" disabled is actually a much more robust solution on every level. The ONLY thing a user needs to consider is when plugging into 120VAC source power. They should use a custom adapter that only joins the L to either L1 or L2 on the rig, not both.

The 2x120 units are for folks who want a cheap (for victron) simple solution at lower power. For folks that want more power, they're not great unless you're willing to parallel multiple 2x120 units and even then, they have limitations.

2X MP-II 3000 (or 5000) (non 2x120) configured in parallel for split phase operation with "switch as group" disabled is actually a much more robust solution on every level. The ONLY thing a user needs to consider is when plugging into 120VAC source power. They should use a custom adapter that only joins the L to either L1 or L2 on the rig, not both.
sunshine_eggo,
Would you be willing to expand on this?
What are the limitations of the 2x120V compared to the 3000V/120V and why are the non 2x120V much more robust?
I am a newbie trying to figure out a system for my RV and am planning on using two 24V Quattro 2x120V inverters and really want to make sure I making the right decision.
Thanks.

sunshine_eggo,
Would you be willing to expand on this?
What are the limitations of the 2x120V compared to the 3000V/120V and why are the non 2x120V much more robust?
I am a newbie trying to figure out a system for my RV and am planning on using two 24V Quattro 2x120V inverters and really want to make sure I making the right decision.
Thanks.

Do you have a 50A RV?

Why are you looking at Quattros?

@sunshine_eggo,
I have a 50amp class-A. I was looking at the Quattro because I wanted to incorporate a generator and have the future option of an auto-start for it in the system.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so here is the the link to the post on what I have and what I was thinking: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/n...ctron-quattro-2x120v-rv-system-install.79988/
Clearly, I have a lot to learn and I am really excited about doing that.

I was thinking of using two Quattro 2x120V because they are, as you pointed out, Victron's "low cost" solution for the American RV market. If money were no object, it seems I would want a pair the Quattro 24/5000/120-100/100 120V. For my situation, it seemed a pair of the Quattro 2x120V would work for half the cost.

Even comparing the Multiplus II 24/3000/70-50 vs the Multiplus II 24V 2x120V, I am missing why the non 2x120V is a better option.
That is why I am really curious of the limitations of the 2x120V and would really appreciate some help on this. I really want to make the right decision on my system (and enjoy learning about this).
Thanks.

Attachments

• Datasheet-MultiPlus-II-120V-EN.pdf
    512.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Datasheet-MultiPlus-II-3kVA-2x120V-EN-.pdf
    786.8 KB · Views: 0
Back