diy solar

diy solar

50 amp solar system for rv plug in

Attack trail Boss

I have searched the threads and Have not found an answer. I sure it has been asked and answered but here i go anyway. I would like to build a solar system that is portable and to be used on my RV that has 50amp service. I would like to run at least one if not both air conditioners. I am going to add soft starts to them and eventually add a mini split 12 volt that I saw on Will;s channel. What I would like to do is build the system so that I can just plug in the 50 amp rv cord like I do to shore power. I have seen some of the pre built units that offer 30amp (although I understand these are not truly 30 amp). I have looked all over Will's page for something like this but have not found one. Maybe I am going about my thought process the wrong way. I just thought It would be simpler and cheaper to use the rv's existing equipment since it is working great with on grid shore power. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for any help. I am not the techyist person in the world but can read and follow directions.

Anything can be done..... but why do you want 50amps over 30amp service? 30amps is 3600w and 50amps is 12000w (240v).

Trying to make something that is portable AND can make over 30amps isn't really doable unless it's for a very short time

EG4 6000xp is almost perfect. its cheap. does 2 phases (3000 watts each) and would wire right up to a receptacle you could plug your rv plug right into.

pair it with some 48v batteries and you are good.

Now for the bad news. Batteries and ACs don't mix. not saying you can't do it (I do it) but it takes a ton of batteries to keep an AC running all day. running a 2 AC system typically on RV's you are looking at an average draw of 2800 watts an hour. in a 10-hour day you are gonna burn 28Kw. thats a lot of battery. ACs need a 3000-watt generator and soft starts. Or like I am planning......a crap ton of solar.

planning on feeding 5400 watts of solar to a EG4 6000Xp that feeds a Victron 120 x 2 that feeds the main breakers. then if its sunny I can run ac all day and if it's cloudy it will use a lot less power.

Yes need 4000w to 6000w inverter with 6000 really needed to run both A/C. I have run my 13.5 Dometic on my single 2000 watt inverter and it does fine. Do you have 15k BTU air units?

Split phase or single feed is fine up to 6000 watts. Above 6000 would need split phase. Yes a lot of battery is needed to make it through the night in difficult (hot) conditions. Solar will help but will probably need a generator to supplement running the air and charging during the day.

Go right to 48 volts on this setup and forget that 12v mini split. Get the split phase 240/120 inverter if going split phase cooling as the 240v units seem to be higher efficiency.

I went 48v with a 6000xp and powerpro pack. Decided to go down the dc mini split route, but with a 48v native model by Hotspot. Will let you know consumption numbers once summer hits!
IMG_5006.jpegIMG_4921.jpeg

EG4 6000xp is almost perfect. its cheap. does 2 phases (3000 watts each) and would wire right up to a receptacle you could plug your rv plug right into.

pair it with some 48v batteries and you are good.

Now for the bad news. Batteries and ACs don't mix. not saying you can't do it (I do it) but it takes a ton of batteries to keep an AC running all day. running a 2 AC system typically on RV's you are looking at an average draw of 2800 watts an hour. in a 10-hour day you are gonna burn 28Kw. thats a lot of battery. ACs need a 3000-watt generator and soft starts. Or like I am planning......a crap ton of solar.

planning on feeding 5400 watts of solar to a EG4 6000Xp that feeds a Victron 120 x 2 that feeds the main breakers. then if its sunny I can run ac all day and if it's cloudy it will use a lot less power.
I was looking to do almost the same thing, but plug trailer into EG4 6000XP. Is this not a good idea?

Back