diy solar

diy solar

50 amp plug-in system

Crash71

So I have a unique situation compared to most looking for a 50-amp RV system. None of the other threads resolve it. I am building a tiny house that is currently running off a 50-amp RV hookup. I want to make a plug-and-play off-grid system to literally just take the plug from the grid and plug it into a solar-powered power center. I feel like with the research I've done so far the EG4 6000EX will get the job done. I'm just not sure if it's the ultimate solution of if there might be something more appropriate out there for my needs.
My highest draw appliance is a 1.5 ton mini-split and other than the inverter I'm planning on 2.5kW panels & a 19.2kWh battery bank from Renogy.

2500W x 5h solar = 10000Wh harvested daily

It will take at least 2 days without any power use to recharge from empty battery to full.

Do you have any idea what your daily kWh usage is?
Should have put the amount of 2.5kW panels shouldn't I. 8 @ 2.5kW to 20 total.

Honestly, I'm not sure what my consumption will be I have 18k mini split, we'll be running an all in one washer/dryer, 12 sqft fridge, an incinerating toilet, counter top 2 burner induction cooktop, countertop convection oven, all LED lighting and basic smart device and laptop charging. in an 8'x24' building. Also the location of this system is going to be in south Texas. And I plan on adding wind power to the system in the future.

Honestly, I'm not sure what my consumption will be
You really need to get these numbers worked out. Here is a link to this sites official energy audit tools. You will learn more doing this than any other step in the solar process.

Your appliance list is setting of warning alarms in my spidy sense for how much solar you will need.
And how many watts of solar do you think you can get on a 8x24 roof (with vents and stacks i assume).

And I plan on adding wind power to the system in the future.
Not a lot of success stories for wind on this forum that i recall. But, the sun don't shine at night. I'd consider extra solar and a ground array before wind.

Last edited:
Here is a thread of someone working thru their energy audit. I will look for more/better ones.

You really need to get these numbers worked out. Here is a link to this sites official energy audit tools. You will learn more doing this than any other step in the solar process.

Your appliance list is setting of warning alarms in my spidy sense for how much solar you will need.
And how many watts of solar do you think you can get on a 8x24 roof (with vents and stacks i assume).

Not a lot of success stories for wind on this forum that i recall. But, the sun don't shine at night. I'd consider extra solar and a ground array before wind.
I'm planning on a ground array, we're going to be on this 1 acre for a few years saving up for a bigger place then break everything down and move it once. Thank you for linking the calculation sheet. Below is what I'm looking at give or take some cell phones being charged.

System size calculations
Full Load W-hrs.6461.5W-Hrs.
Full Load Watts1162Watts
AC Watts1012Watts
AC Surge wattage1500Watts
AC Watt-Hrs6356.5W-Hrs.
DC Watts150Watts
DC Watt-Hrs105W-Hrs.
Inverter Sizing
Inverter efficiency90.00%%
Min continuous Inverter size1124Watts
Min Surge Inverter size (Input Watts)2791Watts
Battery Sizing
Daily Storage Requirement7168W-Hrs/Day
Max discharge from full CHARGE90.0%%
# days of storage capacity2.0Days
System Voltage48.0Volts
min Battery capacity W-Hrs15928.4W-Hrs.
min Battery capacity A-Hrs331.8Amp Hours
Max continuous current to DC Loads3.1
Max continuous DC current to Inverter23.4
Max continuous current from bat.26.6Amps
Max Continuous discharge rate0.08C
Solar Aray Sizing
# sunny days to recharge while under load1.0Days
Required Total daily Solar output (Sunny)21503.3W-Hrs.
Insolation # (Equivelent hours of full sun)5.0Hours
Min Solar Cell Wattage4300.7Watts
Max Charge Current89.6Amps
Max Charge rate
0.27​
C

Last edited:
If I want it to recharge over 2 days I shouldn't need that much more if this reads the way I think it does...
Solar Aray Sizing
# sunny days to recharge while under load2.0Days
Required Total daily Solar output (Sunny)14335.6W-Hrs.
Min Solar Cell Wattage2867.1Watts
Max Charge Current59.7Amps
Max Charge rate
0.18​
C

Last edited:
It all comes down to power consumption.
I would guess winter heating is the issue. Which could be addressed with very good insulation, or a wood stove.
Of course, panels on South facing wall would do a lot compared to roof, depending on slope. Tilt the panels out from wall, and hang from eaves so not shaded if you want them to contribute in summer as well.

It all comes down to power consumption.
I would guess winter heating is the issue. Which could be addressed with very good insulation, or a wood stove.
Of course, panels on South facing wall would do a lot compared to roof, depending on slope. Tilt the panels out from wall, and hang from eaves so not shaded if you want them to contribute in summer as well.
I live in south Texas we have an average winter temp in the 60s. Great insulation and a lot of passive solar with the windows on the build so I'm not worried about winter. It's the other 3 season that are usually above 80 degrees with a muc hotter summer.

My main concern is knowing if it's possible to take the plug from the grid 50amp outlet and plug it into a solar-powered power center 50amp outlet and if the EG4 6000EX is my best option or if there is something else that will better fit my needs.

Summer air conditioning - readily supplied with PV while the sun shines. If you need cooling after sunset, that requires batteries.
Insulation and preventing heat gain from the sun are key.

Some inverters may derate heavily when hot (and may not be documented.) Some like my SI 6048US have specs giving derating.

Starting an AC, you need sufficient surge capability and/or something like Micro Air Easy Start.
Typically surge is 5x motor running watts, and inverter surge capability is 2x continuous rating. Which means you can only run an AC 40% the wattage of inverter. Which may be all that the thermal derating allows anyway (if you don't air condition it.) So Easy Start could help.

Batteries will last longer if kept comfortable.

You can make 50A 120V or 240V (two of my inverters will do that), but your PV and battery won't keep up for long.
Figure out how much PV you can fit; that's all the kWh you'll have per day. figure how many kWh needed at night, that's how much battery.

If I'm reading this right I need a bigger solar array, correct?
14335Wh / 2500W solar = 5.7h of quality solar charging

Check your solar hours here:

Min Solar Cell Wattage2867.1Watts
5 hours is the thing to enter from solar irradiance site above. Figure out how much solar you need in winter (or summer if your needs are higher because of A/C). Thats a part of this learning process.

Update the solar hours and lets keep refining.

14335Wh / 2500W solar = 5.7h of quality solar charging

Check your solar hours here:

5 hours is the thing to enter from solar irradiance site above. Figure out how much solar you need in winter (or summer if your needs are higher because of A/C). Thats a part of this learning process.

Update the solar hours and lets keep refining.
solar-angle-60.jpg

San Antonio
Average Solar Insolation figures​

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 61° angle:
(For best year-round performance)

JanFebMarAprMayJun
JulAugSepOctNovDec

Best year-round may not match your loads.

If your primary load is cooling, consider panel tilt equals latitude. Unless there is a need to tilt further north due to delay warming environment, in that case tilt to match sun's location for hottest month.

San Antonio

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 76° angle:
(Optimal summer settings)

JanFebMarAprMayJun
JulAugSepOctNovDec

San Antonio

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel where the angle is adjusted each month to get optimum sunlight.

JanFebMarAprMayJun
JulAugSepOctNovDec

Back