diy solar

diy solar

Advice needed please for Toy Hauler with 50 amp service 48v.

schmalz81401

I want to set up my Toy Hauler with 50 amp shore installed and a Onan 5500 onboard gen with gear I bought for a different RV.

I currently have in my possession

2x EG4-LL 48V 100AH batteries.

1 x Victron MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-95 120v

1 × Step Down DC Converter | 60 Amp for the 12v stuff in the RV along with a pile of other Victron stuff like the CerboGX and smart shunt, things like that.

My old system in another RV (that needs to go) has the Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V and also has 50 amp shore service and a drag along gen. That was easy for 50 amp service wiring to the 2x120.

The 48v Victron only has 1 single Input voltage range: 90-140 VAC, would you just install 1 leg of the 50 amp shore power to the Victron and not use the second leg or leave it in the RV panel feeding the second side if plugged into 50 amp? I really only have 50 amp when it's at home and when at home I don't really "need" 50 amp because I don't care if it takes a week to recharge the batteries but I have a 50 amp set up to plug into when I get home.

The Onan 5500 is a 120v/45.8A.

Solar will be later.

We boondock for 10-14 days at a time and this RV came with a "house" 120v refrigerator, Starlink and a other few things on 24/7 that are 120v along with the need to use the Microwave, house coffee maker, charge a MacBook things like that and I don't want to run the generator all the time.

I bought this stuff for an RV that I tried to buy that didn't have 50 amp service installed but that deal fell through and now have to figure out for a different RV.

Any help will be much appreciated. I didn't plan this system for this unit so I am all the sudden confused on what would be a good way to move forward with the stuff already purchased.

B

The 48v Victron only has 1 single Input voltage range: 90-140 VAC, would you just install 1 leg of the 50 amp shore power to the Victron and not use the second leg or leave it in the RV panel feeding the second side if plugged into 50 amp?

Yes, but in that case, when not on shore, the inverter would not power anything on L2 unless you jumpered L1 to L2.

I really only have 50 amp when it's at home and when at home I don't really "need" 50 amp because I don't care if it takes a week to recharge the batteries but I have a 50 amp set up to plug into when I get home.

The Onan 5500 is a 120v/45.8A.

I'm guessing it has two ~22.9A legs of in-phase 120VAC.

Solar will be later.

We boondock for 10-14 days at a time and this RV came with a "house" 120v refrigerator, Starlink and a other few things on 24/7 that are 120v along with the need to use the Microwave, house coffee maker, charge a MacBook things like that and I don't want to run the generator all the time.

10cuft compressor fridge should use < 1kWh/day. A large full size might use 1.5-2kWh/day.

I bought this stuff for an RV that I tried to buy that didn't have 50 amp service installed but that deal fell through and now have to figure out for a different RV.

Any help will be much appreciated. I didn't plan this system for this unit so I am all the sudden confused on what would be a good way to move forward with the stuff already purchased.

B

I have two 50A 5th wheels and a shipping container with off-grid "shore" power pedestal. Plug in with 50A to 30A splitter sending L1 to one trailer and L2 to the other trailer. The 30A to 50A adapters to the trailers short L1 to L2 for you, so I have a single 5kVA Quattro powering each trailer with only single phase 120VAC. Works great.

The 2x120 handles the switchover smartly. You just need to mimic the same functionality.

Yes, but in that case, when not on shore, the inverter would not power anything on L2 unless you jumpered L1 to L2.

I'm guessing it has two ~22.9A legs of in-phase 120VAC.

10cuft compressor fridge should use < 1kWh/day. A large full size might use 1.5-2kWh/day.

I have two 50A 5th wheels and a shipping container with off-grid "shore" power pedestal. Plug in with 50A to 30A splitter sending L1 to one trailer and L2 to the other trailer. The 30A to 50A adapters to the trailers short L1 to L2 for you, so I have a single 5kVA Quattro powering each trailer with only single phase 120VAC. Works great.

The 2x120 handles the switchover smartly. You just need to mimic the same functionality.
Maybe a dumb question, but how are you wired up to feed both sides of the panel with your Quattro when you’re not connected to a pedestal?

Maybe a dumb question, but how are you wired up to feed both sides of the panel with your Quattro when you’re not connected to a pedestal?

My Quattros are in a shipping container, so if I'm not plugged into shore power, I have no power unless I fire up the onboard ONAN Propane genny.

If I had my quattro wired into the trailer directly, L1 and L2 would have to be jumpered at the panel in the same way a 50A to 30A adapter does:

1691891679745.png

Back