diy solar

diy solar

48v All In One System Design

Pricedw

Newbie help needed. I noticed on the webpage schematic for 12 V and 24 V but I do not see a schematic for 48 V All in one system. I’ve purchased items from recommended links. Please provide further direction on where I can obtain more information for 48 V systems. For phase 1 of my home I am wanting to power a 1 ton split 110v AC and a couple Refrigerators If power is lost. So far I’ve purchased:
1. 1- Growatt 48v 3kw Inverter all in one system.
2. 1- 48 V Battery pack from big.battery.com
3. 32- RICH SOLAR 100 Watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline Solar Panels.
4. 4 gauge wire kit
5. 1- set Solar Panel Array to MPP Wires
6. 1- 12 gauge extension cord

I’m looking for examples How others have wired their systems, Set up the solar array And Any recommendations on additional parts needed Such as breaker boxes in collecting all the wires at solar panels and then distributing power as appliances are added and system is expanded later.

Last edited:
Welcome! This is a great place to learn solar!
I'm setting up for a bare bones backup system. That is very similar.
Growatt 3000kw 48v all in one on order.
BMW 48v 3.8kwh Li-ion powerwall.
I'm thinking of getting 4 Rich solar panels to start with.
I'm pretty new at this too. The solar panels need to hooked up in series parallel to create 48v groupings to match the battery voltage.
Make sure the voltage and amps do exceed the max for the controller inverter.
I'm still working on the details myself.

Skip the rich solar and take a look at SanTanSolar.com

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

I just bought 40 250W panels from SanTanSolar.com before I found this forum and Will's videos I was looking at home depot's ~300W panels. For the price of about 8 panels from home depot I'm getting 40 from SanTanSolar (would have been even cheaper if I was closer to AZ and could pick them up myself). They told me the panels are about 5 years old and operate at 80-90% of their original capacity. So dirt cheap if even half of my panels actually work (I'll test them all) I will be super happy. They come on Monday so fingers crossed (I'm just hoping that 25% of them work and I'd break even).

It looks like I'm following the same route as you @toolmaker. Got 2 of the BMW 48v 3.8kwh Li-ion powerwall for now to see how that works and I've been trying to get the Growatt from ebay but I've been running into problems with that.

I'm concerned about what @smoothJoey said though. I was thinking that it'd be easy to find parts for the 48V systems.

I just bought 40 250W panels from SanTanSolar.com before I found this forum and Will's videos I was looking at home depot's ~300W panels. For the price of about 8 panels from home depot I'm getting 40 from SanTanSolar (would have been even cheaper if I was closer to AZ and could pick them up myself). They told me the panels are about 5 years old and operate at 80-90% of their original capacity. So dirt cheap if even half of my panels actually work (I'll test them all) I will be super happy. They come on Monday so fingers crossed (I'm just hoping that 25% of them work and I'd break even).

It looks like I'm following the same route as you @toolmaker. Got 2 of the BMW 48v 3.8kwh Li-ion powerwall for now to see how that works and I've been trying to get the Growatt from ebay but I've been running into problems with that.

I'm concerned about what @smoothJoey said though. I was thinking that it'd be easy to find parts for the 48V systems.
I just got a notice that my Growatt has shipped but delivery time is July 20-27. I have limited room and budget for panels. I'll start start with 4 now. The shipping cost for 4 San Tan panels changes the deal somewhat, but the savings for for 40 panels is huge. I'm far from AZ.
Yeah, two of those batteries sound nice! If things work well I might add another one too. Will did say that parts for 48V systems are harder to find.

Thanks everyone for all the replies I’m also still working out the details moving a little slow. Midnight Solar MNPV6 Photovoltaic Combiner Enclosure Is a little pricey for just a breaker box so I’m thinking about getting my own breaker box and getting the scooter breaker and rails, what I see the breakers are rated From 12 to 120 V and you purchase based on amperage protection wanted. Toggle switch breaker and mount rail are fairly cheap at this website if I can modify it to fit a regular breaker box https://electricscooterparts.com/circuitbreakers.html. I like the nice set up with ECO-WORTHY 6 String PV Combiner Box & 63A Circuit Breakers On Amazon but the reviews are not very good looks like the wiring is all too small and people having issues but I like the idea on what to build.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this all-in-one from must-solar . . . it seems too-good-to-be-true with 5000W inverter wifi capabilities.

I'm planning on (4) 450w 72cell half cell mono panels from BlueSun . . . And adding all this to my 16-cell 280AH 48v battery!

Any recommendations on BMS? I'm leaning toward the ANT BMS or the Daly-Smart BMS, probably at 150A charge/discharge . . .

What are the rest of the dots . . ? Anyone have a similar system? I'm guessing there will be many soon with the amazing deals on the 280AH cells. I got mine from Tim @ Dongguan Billion Electronic Technology via Alibaba . . . could not be more pleased with the cells!!

@G00R00 Am I missing something? Wouldn't you need to combine 15 cells to get to 48V (3.2 * 15 = 48V) That 280AH seems crazy. I'm still new to all of this but doesn't that give you like a 13.4KWH battery for about ~$1200? That's about the same as the used ~3KWH 48V battery I got from bigbattery.com. That seems so unreal. So many questions. How long did it take for them to ship?

45 days. Long excruciating days! But they are here now, and yes LESS THAN $100/KWH for LITHIUM BATTERIES!!!! The future is now! I guess it's 48v nominal . . . and it's actually 14.3KWH!!

Last edited:
Just like Will's recommendations, I found that the 48v system would work really good for my purpose. My objective is to run window type AC unit on my son's bedroom on top of the Garage because my AC/Furnace can't supply enough to that room. He have to run a separate AC on summer and a space heater in the winter time. I figured the 48v system would be enough to handle those job plus more like his beefy personal computer system with 3 monitors and the room's light system which are all LEDs. I just got the Growatt 3kwH 2 days ago and the 48v battery from bigbattery.com last week. I installed 8 solar panels 2 weeks ago and they're wired in series and parallel due to the one side is facing sunrise and the other on sunset. As of this moment, I'm still in the process of designing the route for the wires and fuses. I'm hoping I could get more help and idea from this forum seeing that Pricedw and toolmaker are having almost identical hardwares as mine. Thanks guys and let's get to work.

Attachments

• mysolar.jpg
    mysolar.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 13
Without an energy use audit it will be hard to get more than best guess answers. If you figure out actual useage, hours of sunlight per day and battery capacity you will get much more accurate and helpful information.

Can I ask how you routed your PV wires into the house?

It looks like through the gable? Did you consider through the ridge vent??

Without an energy use audit it will be hard to get more than best guess answers. If you figure out actual useage, hours of sunlight per day and battery capacity you will get much more accurate and helpful information.

Can I ask how you routed your PV wires into the house?

It looks like through the gable? Did you consider through the ridge vent??
DC doesn't like long cables so I made sure the 20 feet cable that came with the kit reaches all the way. Even the panels series and parallel wiring was routed right. I just dropped the cable by the window and drilled a hole to where the inverter is mounted.

Attachments

• gro.jpg
    gro.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 15
DC doesn't like long cables so I made sure the 20 feet cable that came with the kit reaches all the way. Even the panels series and parallel wiring was routed right. I just dropped the cable by the window and drilled a hole to where the inverter is mounted.

Probably not code but I could see myself doing the same.

Back