diy solar

diy solar

48v Battery Charger

IMHO the inverter/charger pretty much ate the breakfast of the discrete ac2dc charger.
This is an excellent inverter/charger which includes an excellent charger.

Last edited:
IMHO the inverter/charger pretty much ate the breakfast of the discrete ac2dc charger.
This is an excellent inverter/charger which includes an excellent charger.
Yep, especially in the 48V sector - even less common than 12/24V systems seen in automotive & heavy equipment.. and the reason why I went with a hybrid inverter. I didn't have to worry about 3 (or more) separate components to handle what the hybrid inverter can.

Last edited:
You can use your generator as the AC input source to the inverter and charge your batteries that way. I'll see what the lead time is on the 48V charger and let you know. But if you have a rack of 6 batteries, charging through the inverter will be the most efficient course of action.
Ok, so basically just and extension cord to the ac input of one of the charge controllers? Will it be an issue to only hook 1 of the 2 inverters to the generator

Make sure you alter setting 11 to set the max charge amperage to match the outlet/cord you connect to.

I don't see why there would be any effect by only using one unit other than it limits your max amps possible. Probably irrelevant based on the generator limitation.

Is this because you want the generator N and G bonds linked? I would think you could hard wire it using a transfer switch as one would normally be installed and just switch?

Could you explain how that would look?
When using the grid and/or a generator with multiple inverters, we recommend a subpanel or something that will allow you to overcurrent protect each individual line with breakers. Powering that subpanel with the generator and having breakered connections to each inverter in the system (making sure that all of the Line 1 inverters are on the grid/gen's Line 1, and vice versa) will evenly split the power draws to each line as they have demand for it. Pulling generators over their 50-60% mark can cause the generated sine wave to distorted past 3% harmonic distortion which will damage inverters over time, so you want to make sure that will not happen. It's always advised to have the consultation or supervision of a licensed professional when installing electrical connections.

Ben is saying he doesn't want you to call him with a sob story about how you dont understand the difference between 100% duty cycle capability and surge capability of your generator before you hooked it up to your inverter with no safety device to prevent damage (like a breaker ir a fuse).

If you use a decent transfer switch it will have circuit protection. Don't plan on running your gen at the highest number on the box it came in. That's the surge capacity, not the ideal, clean output and sustainable capacity.

Back