diy solar

diy solar

Grid charging an off grid 2xEG4 LifePower4 48V 100AH batteries (connected to one EG4 6000XP)

wbihsnp

Hi there, noob question: The more I read, the more confusing some threads got. I'm looking to build an off-grid 2xEG4 LifePower4 48V 100AH batteries (connected to one EG4 6000XP) with around 4000W from the solar array. I like to be able to charge batteries with standard 120V outlet on cloudy/no sun days and would prefer not to have to purchase a 240V capable fuel generator.
Would something like this work?
BigBattery | 48V 110VAC/220V AC 20A IP65 Blue Charger (57.6V DC)

I think Will had tested some of these and mentioned terrible reliability.
AIMS Power CON120AC3648VDC AC Converter & Battery Smart Charger 36V or 48V 25 amps

I assume I would connect this directly to the batteries. Will I have to change any setting on the 6000XP as it pertains to charging source? I'm open to any and all good ideas. My apology if this has already been covered and I missed it.

A 48v lithium battery charger such as this one would be effective. Alternatively, you could use the grid inputs on the inverter to charge the battery from the grid.

A 48v lithium battery charger such as this one would be effective. Alternatively, you could use the grid inputs on the inverter to charge the battery from the grid.
Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate on what you mean? I was planning to not have the Inverter connected to the grid.

You can make use of the grid inputs on the inverter, enabling direct charging of the battery from the electrical grid. This approach eliminates the necessity for a separate charger. However, if you do not want the grid connection, a 48v lithium battery charger connected to the bus bars would work.

You can make use of the grid inputs on the inverter, enabling direct charging of the battery from the electrical grid. This approach eliminates the necessity for a separate charger. However, if you do not want the grid connection, a 48v lithium battery charger connected to the bus bars would work.
Thank you, yes I would rather the inverter stays off of the grid. When you say to connect this charger to the bus bars, what do you mean. I currently did not have bus bars factored in, so this is very good. Are you indicating the need for 2 bus bars where the charger would be tied in between the batteries and the inverter? Would I have to turn the inverter off to charge the batteries? I'm sorry, I'm so new to this, I appreciate your help!

I think you can connect the charger's output wires directly your battery set. Not sure if you need a set of bus bars for 2 batteries or if they can just be connected in parallel with cables and then straight to your inverter. I am looking into using a charger like you mentioned if there is an extended power outage , but my question is: Is there an issue with continuing to run the inverter to power the house while the batteries are charging via the charger that is being powered by a generator? (not a huge draw, just the basics like fridge and lights).

I think you can connect the charger's output wires directly your battery set. Not sure if you need a set of bus bars for 2 batteries or if they can just be connected in parallel with cables and then straight to your inverter. I am looking into using a charger like you mentioned if there is an extended power outage , but my question is: Is there an issue with continuing to run the inverter to power the house while the batteries are charging via the charger that is being powered by a generator? (not a huge draw, just the basics like fridge and lights).
So last evening I put the AIMS Power AC Converter on the busbars, along with the batteries (in parallel) like you indicated. (Busbars more for future additions/expansion). Seems to work, State of Charger light is blinking, I suppose it means the batteries are charging. Didn't dare to keep it charging overnight yet. (Inverter is not connected yet). On the Aims Converter I have the green light illuminated and also a yellow which indicates: Output over current. I have no idea what this means and if it is "bad".
As far as your concern goes, I think you are fine running the generator to charge your batteries while running a fairly "light" load like you indicated. But i am so new to this, I can't say for sure.

Back