diy solar

diy solar

48V LFP Prismatic Case Options?

B. Finger

I’d be interested if folks have identified any repurposed existing containers that work great for enclosing a DIY 48 V LFP battery module? I’ve got 16 120A-hr prismatic cells on the way from Alibaba. Each cell is 1.9” (W) x 6.9” (L) x 6.7” (H). An 8x2 configuration would be approximately a minimum 16” x 14.5” interior dimensions . I’m open to other configurations folks have configured. Thanks for any feedback on what you have figured out!

I’d be interested if folks have identified any repurposed existing containers that work great for enclosing a DIY 48 V LFP battery module? I’ve got 16 120A-hr prismatic cells on the way from Alibaba. Each cell is 1.9” (W) x 6.9” (L) x 6.7” (H). An 8x2 configuration would be approximately a minimum 16” x 14.5” interior dimensions . I’m open to other configurations folks have configured. Thanks for any feedback on what you have figured out!

There are a few configuration options I've saved from this forum (I didn't create these)
48V-16S square pack.jpgBattery.PNG

There are several ways to configure a 48V pack as shown above. There are some gotcha's which can be unexpected and that falls onto the cell sizes (dimensionally) and the pack weight. Many people do not realize how heavy these packs can get, consider that a single 280AH cell weighs 5kg/11lbs. that adds up fast !

I build my own boxes out of Plywood in a manner that allows for cell compression. Always leave a minimum of 1" above the cells for clearance (wires, bolts etc) and airspace, otherwise things can get a bit weird if something goes awry.

I posted this into another thread, it may be helpful:
or more details here:

GEE WIZ: I will have to make a specific post on the battery packs, box making & dimensions etc...
Another Job Jar item for later this week. hahahaha.....
Hmmmm.... maybe I'll put that off in favour of the other document I am prepping and roll that all together. Now I have to ponder that.

I built an 8S 24V 202AH LiFePO4 pack inside a 48 quart plastic ice chest. Dirt cheap container. The batteries weigh about 70 lbs, but I can lug it around by myself using the handles. The only difficulty I had was installing the battery terminals through the thick walls of the ice chest. Need to make sure the battery terminals are long enough.

Photo looking down into my ice chest battery. My cheap ice chest has a flat floor and flat walls. I thought about using an ice chest that has built-in wheels and a handle, but there are irregularities on the inside where the wheels are and makes it more difficult to fit the batteries down inside it. At the time of this photo the hookups were incomplete. I have since hooked things up the way I want them, and have added ratcheting straps around the perimeter of the pack and cinched it down for compression. I have plastic spacers between the cells to allow them to dissapate heat should that be necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_20200817_141934_994.jpg
    IMG_20200817_141934_994.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 24
Back