diy solar

diy solar

48v work lighting solutions

how about the reverse question, how well would this 48v strip run at 12 or 24 volts? i was thinking of making a 'dumb' dimmer that would switch and N^2 set of lights from parallel to parallel/series or just series?
I'd get strips that match the voltage you're actually using (they come in 5v/12v/24v/48v). As far as I know, they're all 5v LED's and they just wire the strips differently internally (using groups of LED's instead of individual - the higher the voltage, the larger the group.)

One problem with the lower voltage options is the strips start to dim the longer they are because of the gauge wire used in the strip, so you'd have to "power inject" them more often (such as providing power to both ends of the strip and even points in the middle). 48v strips can be quite long with very to no dimming (like over 100'). For 5v strips, you can start to get fading after just 15 feet or so.

I'd get strips that match the voltage you're actually using (they come in 5v/12v/24v/48v). As far as I know, they're all 5v LED's and they just wire the strips differently internally (using groups of LED's instead of individual - the higher the voltage, the larger the group.)

One problem with the lower voltage options is the strips start to dim the longer they are because of the gauge wire used in the strip, so you'd have to "power inject" them more often (such as providing power to both ends of the strip and even points in the middle). 48v strips can be quite long with very to no dimming (like over 100'). For 5v strips, you can start to get fading after just 15 feet or so.
thanks, have you measured the actual power draw for that 20m strip, the website says 200 watts, what does real world data say?

Also, you could put four 12v lights in series too. That may or may not be cheaper.
yea it is cheaper almost always, even all the way down to like 1/4th the price depending on type of lights.

My favorite are the flexible roll of strip lights. Gives more even lighting to have tiny lights all over the place.

I am sticking with the flashlight method. If you have a battery tool there is probably a work light accessory.

Actually looks like they are 48W, 10-36V

I got a handful of LED light bars for emergency shop lighting (since there are no windows in the shop), mine say 10-36v, so I tested 2 in series with 60v and they work great. So I will wire them in pairs.

Back