diy solar

diy solar

50 amp camper, 30 amp solar kit

Bob806

I'm looking at a solar kit system and noticed it's for a 30 amp system and my RV plugs into a 50 amp shore power. Sometimes I use a dogbone plug to convert the 50 amp plug to 30 amp if the shore power only offers 30 amp service. Its a Go Power Weekender 190 system...will this work or do I need to upgrade to the 50 amp kit? I am new to this, just don't want a safety hazard while trying to save money.

What kind of "solar kit system" are you looking for?
Are you looking to gut your 50A electronics for one that accepts solar?
Or are you looking to charge your battery(s) independently?
Or?

What kind of "solar kit system" are you looking for?
Are you looking to gut your 50A electronics for one that accepts solar?
Or are you looking to charge your battery(s) independently?
Or?
Charging batteries, and powering a few outlets, camper lights, and power the refrigerator (two way fridge that runs on AC or propane).

Charging batteries, and powering a few outlets, camper lights, and power the refrigerator (two way fridge that runs on AC or propane).
Once your batteries are charged, do you already have inverters that power "a few outlets, camper lights, and power the refrigerator"?

If so, an independent solar kit that simply charges your batteries sounds easiest.

Once your batteries are charged, do you already have inverters that power "a few outlets, camper lights, and power the refrigerator"?

If so, an independent solar kit that simply charges your batteries sounds easiest.
Ok thank you. I do not have the inverter (yet). I simply have a 100 watt solar panel kit with a controller. I know that's not enough to power certain small appliances, but could be good enough for a couple days of bookdocking.

Oops...and the water pump, in case we need a quick shower. Not sure the power requirements on that, need to look it up.

I simply have a 100 watt solar panel kit with a controller. I know that's not enough to power certain small appliances, but could be good enough for a couple days of bookdocking.
100W "kit" pretty tiny. Have you done an energy audit to see how much power you are currently using or expect to use?
If you run an inverter, that alone, just idling, could most of what your 100W solar panel would produce in a day.
That isn't even close to powering a refrigerator, maybe 10x off.

100W "kit" pretty tiny. Have you done an energy audit to see how much power you are currently using or expect to use?
If you run an inverter, that alone, just idling, could most of what your 100W solar panel would produce in a day.
That isn't even close to powering a refrigerator, maybe 10x off.
I spoke with a tech guy who suggested this kit, as he also told me my 100 W setup wouldn't be nearly enough.

I came here after watching some Youtube videos and the young man (Wlliam P.) had a link to this forum. Trying to learn so we can be fine in BLM areas for a brief time.

I came here after watching some Youtube videos and the young man (Wlliam P.) had a link to this forum. Trying to learn so we can be fine in BLM areas for a brief time.
Welcome! You've come to the right place.

You REALLY need to quantify your power needs/usage in a 24h period for anybody to help you properly size your solar system.

Do any of your appliances list power (watts or amps and volts)? This and the number of hours per day they run will get you there.

Welcome! You've come to the right place.

You REALLY need to quantify your power needs/usage in a 24h period for anybody to help you properly size your solar system.

Do any of your appliances list power (watts or amps and volts)? This and the number of hours per day they run will get you there.
I'll get on this, thanks.

A power audit is key. Solar is very expensive compared to a generator

A rule of thumb I learned for Boondocking on BLM land is 2 golf cart batteries and 300 watts of panels. Luckily for me, I learned that after I installed 1000 watts of panels and 4 golf cart batteries. Two golf cart batteries may not be enough.

Nearly all days the “rule of thumb” works fine. Then I had a cold night my family was with me we ran heat and the propane blower motor drained too much for two golf cart batteries to handle, but I had four so I was fine. Then I had cloudy days and I needed all 1000 watts of panels to charge on a cloudy day, but still had to run the generator. This build I talk about is in my Rv build part 1. I did get the total wattage up to 1350 on that build.

You can make the 190 watt kit work that the tech suggested, but you have to have a plan to charge the batteries. In my area, I would need to run the generator with the 190 watt kit about half the time. With the 1000 watts, very little. I did upgrade to 2550 watts of panels and never run the generator anymore. This is in RV build part 2.

I have so much more I want to say, but I will end with some sort of battery monitoring is important for boondocking, more important for smaller systems.

I’m in the same situation. I’m looking to wire an AIMS 3000 watt inverter straight into my RV breaker panel main input. Have 10.5kWh battery bank and 1200 watts of solar array. Does anyone think this will work

I’m in the same situation. I’m looking to wire an AIMS 3000 watt inverter straight into my RV breaker panel main input. Have 10.5kWh battery bank and 1200 watts of solar array. Does anyone think this will work
I recommend starting a new thread where we can work on this!

I did under general discussion no response
This one?

6 responses and you finished with

>Thank you, you answered the question I’ve been asking and searching for ever. Much appreciated

I am confused.

Back