diy solar

diy solar

50 Panel Install

It's not really a derating, it's the calculations for current and wire ampacity in the PV section of code. We are still restricted to temperature limits of 110.14(C)(1) that keep us using the 60c column unless we are dealing will connectors and equipment that are rated for higher temperatures, So unless the inverter, disconnect, and all connections in between are rated to greater the 60c you gotta use the 60c column.
Almost everything is rated for 75C these days and putting in 90C terminations on both sides of the long run is trivial

Almost everything is rated for 75C these days and putting in 90C terminations on both sides of the long run is trivial
Lot of stuff is but things like the connections on inverters, and pv disconnects need to be verified they are labeled for 75c rating. Putting a 90c lug or something on a wire then connecting to a 60c or 75c terminal doesn't magically make it a 90c termination

Lot of stuff is but things like the connections on inverters, and pv disconnects need to be verified they are labeled for 75c rating. Putting a 90c lug or something on a wire then connecting to a 60c or 75c terminal doesn't magically make it a 90c termination
You can put 90C rated Polaris lugs on the end of the long wire run and use a larger gauge wire for the last few feet

Boy this is scary. Wooden structure that tilts with a life expectancy of 25 years or more? I doubt it. It should have been done with 2" schedule 40 galvanized pipe with 2 rows of vertical posts facing south and the post heights cut to produce the optimum angle. Tilting the panels twice a year will not produce much more power and adds flexibility into the design. Doesn't wood contract and expand? Won't this effect matter when the panels are bolted down? Is this going to have enough ballast and strength to handle 125 mph wind that may come through the area? I hope you spend a lot of time on the fire suppression system with your home made DIY battery kit. If this guy was really your friend you would have installed a metal ground mount and purchased UL9540a batteries for him.
Happy Halloween.
I wouldn't hesitate to build the same type of system for my friends.
Great job @dmkjr!

Edit - the really scary batteries on the front table are going to the back wooden rack, WIP photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20231013_140338.jpg
    IMG_20231013_140338.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230913_181756.jpg
    IMG_20230913_181756.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
What racking are you using on your wooden structure?
12ga strut from a local electrical supply store (cheaper than big box store).

What size strut was that? I’ve looked at those mounting kits before.

1-5/8"x1-5/8" x 10'
What size strut was that? I’ve looked at those mounting kits before.

Boy this is scary. Wooden structure that tilts with a life expectancy of 25 years or more? I doubt it. It should have been done with 2" schedule 40 galvanized pipe with 2 rows of vertical posts facing south and the post heights cut to produce the optimum angle. Tilting the panels twice a year will not produce much more power and adds flexibility into the design. Doesn't wood contract and expand? Won't this effect matter when the panels are bolted down? Is this going to have enough ballast and strength to handle 125 mph wind that may come through the area? I hope you spend a lot of time on the fire suppression system with your home made DIY battery kit. If this guy was really your friend you would have installed a metal ground mount and purchased UL9540a batteries for him.
Meh,

Wood is fine. In the sand hills of NC treated 4x4 it can hold up better than low end metal. I put in a few decks that have been up for at least 20 years. I ran the posts deep no cement. You would want a concrete pillar with straps to make it hold up any better. The rows might be too close together, rookie mistake if so. He will have to manually ground the frames, simple with a self-tapper and some wire. If you were really slick, you'd frame each panel in like a window, put a pair of spin locks on each corner. Just pop it out if you have a problem. The problem is (of course) I've not seen two panels that are the same size. Now THAT would be nice, if they standardized the size of these frakkin things.

The problem is (of course) I've not seen two panels that are the same size. Now THAT would be nice, if they standardized the size of these frakkin things.
You got that right. What is worse.... trying to find the same model panel 6 months after you buy the first batch is nearly impossible. Consequently, you can't get the same one and you can't get a different one that fits (let alone has similar I and V characteristics)

You got that right. What is worse.... trying to find the same model panel 6 months after you buy the first batch is nearly impossible. Consequently, you can't get the same one and you can't get a different one that fits (let alone has similar I and V characteristics)
It took a long time for the SATA hard drive storage sizes (Like I/V) to standardize. Solar panels are even worse, at least the form-factor on a drive was defined. If "they" (Whoever the heck "they" are) would just start there, you would see more creative and standardized mounting systems pop up all over the place. Further you'd see standardized framing and locking systems (You know like the screw holes on a 3.5" drive, trays in a SAN). It likely will happen at some point. Battery cell sizes aren't too awful/diverse.

Thanks for the comments.

Wooden structure is fine. The panels she bought were used panels. I’m not sure anything when it comes to land mounted anything is designed to stay in one location for 20 years (even if intended). I do not foresee the panels staying where they are for 20+ years, if so, way past my time working on them.

In regards to the batteries…. I’m not worried about them one bit.

Thanks for the comments.

Wooden structure is fine. The panels she bought were used panels. I’m not sure anything when it comes to land mounted anything is designed to stay in one location for 20 years (even if intended). I do not foresee the panels staying where they are for 20+ years, if so, way past my time working on them.

In regards to the batteries…. I’m not worried about them one bit.
I am very glad that you have adopted a shorter time line for use of the system and a worry free attitude. I hope this will carry over to continued servicing and repair of the system as the problems arise over time. Good luck.

Back