diy solar

diy solar

500 watt RV solar system

TomPanning

I’m adding solar to my 16 foot travel trailer, and I’ve been using Will Prowse’s book and website to do most of the planning and gear selection. I think I've got it figured out, but would appreciate an extra set of eyes.

Main components:
  • 2 100 watt “mega” panels from Rich Solar, rated at 18.6V, 5.38A
  • 3 100 watt “slim” panels from Rich Solar, rated at 19.5V, 5.13A
  • Renogy Rover 40A solar controller
  • SOK 206Ah 12V battery (maximum discharge 100A, internal cutoff at 130A)
  • Victron SmartShunt 500A
  • Victron Blue Smart Battery Charger 12V, 15A

Wiring:
  • All solar panels will be in parallel to minimize the impacts of shading
  • 10 gauge solar wire, total length from furthest panel to solar controller is 16 feet
  • 10 gauge wire from solar controller to battery, 2-4 feet
  • 8 gauge wire from battery charger to battery
  • Existing wire from battery to existing 12V fuse block for the RV

Fuses and locations:
  • MegaFuse rated for 32V 150A on positive battery lead
  • 50A fuse between battery and solar controller
Besides the usual check on fuse sizes and locations, I’m curious about a solar disconnect switch. They didn’t seem to be covered in Will’s book or website, but the concept makes sense to me (being able to safely and easily turn off power from the solar panels when working on the system). If I add one, I’d prefer it to be inside the trailer, but space inside the trailer is limited. Is there an option for a relatively small DC disconnect switch?

Besides the usual check on fuse sizes and locations, I’m curious about a solar disconnect switch. They didn’t seem to be covered in Will’s book or website, but the concept makes sense to me (being able to safely and easily turn off power from the solar panels when working on the system). If I add one, I’d prefer it to be inside the trailer, but space inside the trailer is limited. Is there an option for a relatively small DC disconnect switch?

Most of us are putting in a dual pole circuit breaker to use as a disconnect between the PV and solar charge controller.

Most "switches" that you would find in an RV are not rated for the voltage that the panels can put out. Plus, with your high amperage from your PV (all 5 parallel panels) that would also exceed what most RV switches can handle. A DC circuit breaker is the way to go. If the breaker has a rating for 50hz/60hz then it's an AC breaker. My dual pole breaker is mounted on a DIN rail.

Rather than the MEGA fuse, I would prefer to see a Class T fuse immediately downstream of the LiFePO4 battery.

Since you're familiar with Victron, their solar controllers come highly recommended as well.

For charging, another option is MeanWell - very happy with the one I got - the NPB series. Their default dip-switching let's you arrive at charge voltages that suit LFP.

For three or more panels in parallel, proper fusing inline or in a combiner box is required.

Amazon has a bunch of 2-pole DC mini-din breakers in a housing box that works perfect for PV cutoff. Amperage rating isn't critical as it's not really used for circuit protection, but just for switching.

Here's a good vid on it:

What I did for PV cutoff:

Since you're familiar with Victron, their solar controllers come highly recommended as well.

For charging, another option is MeanWell - very happy with the one I got - the NPB series. Their default dip-switching let's you arrive at charge voltages that suit LFP.

For three or more panels in parallel, proper fusing inline or in a combiner box is required.

Amazon has a bunch of 2-pole DC mini-din breakers in a housing box that works perfect for PV cutoff. Amperage rating isn't critical as it's not really used for circuit protection, but just for switching.

Here's a good vid on it:

What I did for PV cutoff:

Whats the story behind the second SCC MPPT. (Just curious which I know also killed a cat lol)

Back