diy solar

diy solar

5280W solar max for the Mppt charger. can i exceed?

theVlog

hello everyone, i am planning to setup my own panel system.. now my question is that my solar control max is 240V and 100am and 5280w for 48v battery.. for example i exceed that solar watts to 9,900 watts. 36pcs of 275w. and i series them to 4. then i will get 154v and 82.9A with total of 9,900 of watts per hour. now my question is that, is this okay to have even i got good sun andl the mppt charger be able to handle the solar panels? or i should keep it to the recommended watts which is 5280w...

MPPT CHARGER INFO
  • Rated charging current: 100A Maximal
  • PV open-circuit voltage: 240V System
  • Voltage: 12V to 48V
  • Auto Power of solar panel (12V): 1320W
  • Power of solar panel (24V): 2640W
  • Power of solar panel (48V): 5280W

120% is the usual overdrive factor for economics and durability/survival.
Always ask the manufacturer directly. Some controls will simply state the maximum (ISC) current allowed on the pv input terminals which makes this way easier.

Solectria told me directly that they couldnt recommend any higher than 125% of the inverters nameplate output power rating of 100kW but did not give max current..... and we could not do it without voiding the warranty.

hello everyone, i am planning to setup my own panel system.. now my question is that my solar control max is 240V and 100am and 5280w for 48v battery.. for example i exceed that solar watts to 9,900 watts. 36pcs of 275w. and i series them to 4. then i will get 154v and 82.9A with total of 9,900 of watts per hour. now my question is that, is this okay to have even i got good sun andl the mppt charger be able to handle the solar panels? or i should keep it to the recommended watts

My understanding is you can go over a bit on the amps but the voltage is a hard limit.

Since you have plenty of headroom on the voltage (154 vs 240 max) I think you are good to go provided the amp rating of your SCC is close to 83 amps.

I don’t think the wattage rating is very helpful here. Look at amps and volts max.

Been doing solar power on a personal basis for over a decade and I rarely let the magic smoke out of electrical devices.

thanks to both of you.

anyone have an actual experience maybe?
Not sure what that means. Actual experience is do not exceed manufacturer specs......

As an anectote.... i do it all the time. For example outback fm 60 has a maximum pv array wattage of 1800W charging 24V....... i feed it 2400W without issue and i cant allow more than 45A charging anyway so it is alway limited. Not sure about the electonic architecture and what this can do to the relays and fets etc.

My morningstar mppt controllers will groan and squeal when limiting the pv under moderate sun and a full battery....... does not sound good.....!
But morningstar engineers told me directly 500w solar on their 15A mppt at 12v charging more than double the recommended array watts listed in manual.

Same when i used to use a garage type bench top battery charger to back up my radio station. Fed it on the pv input and it worked fine. Made noise when near full or full.

My understanding is you can go over a bit on the amps but the voltage is a hard limit.

Since you have plenty of headroom on the voltage (154 vs 240 max) I think you are good to go provided the amp rating of your SCC is close to 83 amps.

I don’t think the wattage rating is very helpful here. Look at amps and volts max.

Totally agree -- Let me say this as clearly as I can ... you can push the amp limit -- i do that all the time -- but if its rated for a certain voltage - do not go past it at all ... amperage is forgiving -- voltage not ... soooo:

NEVER EXCEED THE SCC VOLTAGE AT ALL - FOR ANY REASON - NOT BY A VOLT ...

hey Guys the Question is i am not exceeding any Voltage or Amperage on any mppt controller.. the mppt controller max details below. now if i push the limit of the max watts on 48v setup is it okay or not? my total will be this one ( 154v and 82.9A with total of 9,900 of watts ) 36pcs of 275w solar panel. this is possible since each panel here in my place will be priced 90usd.

MPPT CHARGER INFO

hey Guys the Question is i am not exceeding any Voltage or Amperage on any mppt controller.. the mppt controller max details below. now if i push the limit of the max watts on 48v setup is it okay or not? my total will be this one ( 154v and 82.9A with total of 9,900 of watts ) 36pcs of 275w solar panel. this is possible since each panel here in my place will be priced 90usd.

MPPT CHARGER INFO

My question is, why havent you contacted the application engineers from the maker of your control. Nobody will tell you go ahead because they care about your experience.

When i double the maximum allowable pv array wattage listed in a manual........ its on my acceptance of the result which is usually a battery that is more full, more often!

MPPT CHARGER INFO

SO are you asking this - at 48V the SCC says you are allowed 5280 BUT you want to run 9900W instead???

IF - and I am sorry but your phrasing the question within a statement has me confused -- BUT IF thats what you are asking then I am going to say that at that percentage of being over - YES you will have issues ... UNLESS you SCC has the ability to DUMP the wattage into a heat sink of some sort ... At 5270W max for 48V I would probably shoot for going no higher than 1056 OVER and I would closely monitor that for the first few bright sunny days

My question is, why havent you contacted the application engineers from the maker of your control. Nobody will tell you go ahead because they care about your experience.

When i double the maximum allowable pv array wattage listed in a manual........ its on my acceptance of the result which is usually a battery that is more full, more often!

In his defense about 90% of these application engineers designing this is in China ...

SO are you asking this - at 48V the SCC says you are allowed 5280 BUT you want to run 9900W instead???

IF - and I am sorry but your phrasing the question within a statement has me confused -- BUT IF thats what you are asking then I am going to say that at that percentage of being over - YES you will have issues ... UNLESS you SCC has the ability to DUMP the wattage into a heat sink of some sort ... At 5270W max for 48V I would probably shoot for going no higher than 1056 OVER and I would closely monitor that for the first few bright sunny days
This is exactly my question and sorry for my bad english :) thank you all for your answer its been very informative and helpful

Yes you can do it. I nearly double the max wattage on mine.

Wattage input figures are irrelevant. Its simply assuming x wattage = max charge amps.

What some posters here dont understand is you cant go over the amperage rating (or voltage). If its a 100A controller do not go far over 100A input. That can be 10kw on a cloudy day...it can be 2kw on a sunny day. Wattage is irrelevant.

I have seen plenty of controlls and inverters that do not allow what you are saying. There is sometimes say, 100A control that will only allow 75A or 50A on the pv input side.

You think maybe because it assumes with mppt more than 75A will be boosted above 100a exceeding its output rating? I bet so...otherwise how is it supposed to produce it rated output...

Last edited:
What some posters here dont understand is you cant go over the amperage rating

While I agree on the voltage rating I would not bet against @ghostwriter66 as she has more real world experience than many here. Specifically with over amping a SCC for one example.

Sure it's a bit easier blowing up your employers stuff (I blow up the stuff I had to pay for) but the real world information is like gold either way.

While I agree on the voltage rating I would not bet against @ghostwriter66 as she has more real world experience than many here. Specifically with over amping a SCC for one example.

Sure it's a bit easier blowing up your employers stuff (I blow up the stuff I had to pay for) but the real world information is like gold either way.

Its akin to the people here who think a 100w panel is supposed to produce 100w and if not you should sue. Or lead batteries are cheap and easy.

In real life 6kw @ 48v = ~75a-85a depending on mounting.

My 20A says 240w because 240w/12a=20
My 40A says 480w because 480w/12v=40

You dont charge at 12v, you will have voltage drop, you will not see 100% panel output.

Last edited:
Its akin to the people here who think a 100w panel is supposed to produce 100w and if not you should sue. Or lead batteries are cheap and easy.

What in the world????

It's not even close to being akin to anything like that.

In the real world people have, and do go over the amp limit without damaging SCC's.

In the real world people have gone over the voltage limit and damaged their SCC's.

As with all other free advice on the internet, proceed at your own risk.

What in the world????

It's not even close to being akin to anything like that.

In the real world people have, and do go over the amp limit without damaging SCC's.

In the real world people have gone over the voltage limit and damaged their SCC's.

As with all other free advice on the internet, proceed at your own risk.

Obviously you're in over your head...

chill out guys. we are here to help each other.

if i may ask one last question, is it okay two use two MPPT Controller to the battery or one Battery?

Yes. In fact its a much better solution. Not only for less stress on components but if one fails you still have half charge.

chill out guys. we are here to help each other.

Couldn't agree more.

I had three points I was trying to get across before things devolved.

1. Total wattage is not a very helpful spec with a SCC. You need to consider the Amperage and Voltage limits separately.
2. You NEVER want to exceed the Voltage limit of a SCC.
3. Exceeding the amperage limit is a bit more forgiving in the real world.

Hope someone finds that helpful.

I like this.....

Do not exceed manufafturer specs.....

And ill post some inverter and charge control specs that show ther may be a limit on the pv input reached before you would ever be able to run max volts, max amps. Its there, i didnt design it so i dont know exactly why, but i can assure you if you install these for people on your liability you will be honoring manufacturer specs or you are likely to cause some people a terrible experience and it get lead to a law suit........ real world.

diy solar

diy solar
Back