diy solar

diy solar

6000XP Source and Loads panel box connections?

JacksPost

I have on order two 6000XP inverters. From my understanding a breakers main job is to protect the wiring between the device and panel but to also protect the device connected. I am proposing the following since the 6000XP has built in breakers and these breakers should trip if there is any issues. This leaves the breakers in the source and load panels for a connection point and a means of disconnect. I would not even consider this if the inverter didn't have it's own set of breakers, something needs to protect the 8ga wiring. I am also proposing this setup since I want to use a single breaker in the source and loads panel due to lockout being used to select one source at a time in each panel. Source panel source is either utility co or generator. Loads panel source is either inverter or source panel (utility or gen).

Question: Can I connect the two 6000XPs to a source panel and a loads panel using the following hardware.
  • 100amp bi-pole breaker in the source panel box and another 100amp bi-pole breaker in the loads panel. (each breaker would support both inverters using the devices in the next bullet)
  • Out of each 100amp breaker, use the following 3 port connectors on each pole of the breaker using a short piece of 4 gauge wire. Out of the other two ports, run 8ga wire to each inverter. Repeat for the inverters output to the 100amp breaker in the loads panel.

With the breakers in 6000xp's your plan sounds good. You should use bigger wire between the breakers and wire connectors, 3 or 2 AWG have the ampacity for a 100 amp breaker. Those wire connectors do not appear to be listed or have an amp rating, you will want to use a listed wire connector, and the amp rating should be at least 100amps. To stay compliant with the NEC tap rules, the 8ga wire run should be not more then 25ft, from the wire connector to the inverter.

With the breakers in 6000xp's your plan sounds good. You should use bigger wire between the breakers and wire connectors, 3 or 2 AWG have the ampacity for a 100 amp breaker. Those wire connectors do not appear to be listed or have an amp rating, you will want to use a listed wire connector, and the amp rating should be at least 100amps. To stay compliant with the NEC tap rules, the 8ga wire run should be not more then 25ft, from the wire connector to the inverter.
@pvgirl , appreciate the response! I wont be having or needing any inspections so I am not sure if I require a listed connector. The connectors do say they support 2ga - 14ga wire. If I did want to go with one, can you point to one that would work?

edit - I did find another brand that looks to be UL listed here.

@pvgirl , appreciate the response! I wont be having or needing any inspections so I am not sure if I require a listed connector. The connectors do say they support 2ga - 14ga wire. If I did want to go with one, can you point to one that would work?
Polaris is big name brand for these type of connectors.

diy solar

diy solar
Back