diy solar

diy solar

64V 4x4 Golf Cart conversion to Lithium help

64V4X4

I have a 64v Stealth 4x4 Golf Cart I want to convert to Lithium batteries. I'm totally new to this type of stuff so bear with me. From what I have read, most 12v lithium battery packs are actually 12.8v. Does this mean I can actually use five of these 12.8v batteries hooked up in series and it work for my 64V cart? If so, Does anyone have any suggestions on the best 12.8v battery to use for this cart? Also does the same logic hold true for the 24v meaning they are actually 25.6v and I could use two of these and one 12.8v hooked up in series?

The first thing you need to do is to determine the maximum amp draw of your cart. Most of those 12v lithium drop in replacement batteries are not capable of delivering the kind of juice (amps) a golf cart uses when you step on the pedal. In fact, i don't think any of them are able to deliver that kind of power.

I have a 2013 Precedent and will be converting it over to lithium soon.. We also run an off-grid system when the grid goes down.

From my poking around and experiments with my own cart, the only two real options are to purchase a lithium golf cart pack designed for the purpose, or build your own.. and even most of the lithium packs designed for golf carts are junk and limit the cart because of the amp draw.

The first thing you need to do is to determine the maximum amp draw of your cart. Most of those 12v lithium drop in replacement batteries are not capable of delivering the kind of juice (amps) a golf cart uses when you step on the pedal. In fact, i don't think any of them are able to deliver that kind of power.

I have a 2013 Precedent and will be converting it over to lithium soon.. We also run an off-grid system when the grid goes down.

From my poking around and experiments with my own cart, the only two real options are to purchase a lithium golf cart pack designed for the purpose, or build your own.. and even most of the lithium packs designed for golf carts are junk and limit the cart because of the amp draw.
thanks for information. i recently upgraded my ezgo 36v 275 amp controller to a 350amp controller. i also upgraded my electrical motor to accomodate. all is well with my standard deep cycle 6v battery system though, i want to upgrade my batteries to lithum when i do my next purchase. can i do 3-12v lithium batteries or stay with 6-6v lithium config? should i purchase 300amp hr lithiums or less? thx for your input.

thanks for information. i recently upgraded my ezgo 36v 275 amp controller to a 350amp controller. i also upgraded my electrical motor to accomodate. all is well with my standard deep cycle 6v battery system though, i want to upgrade my batteries to lithum when i do my next purchase. can i do 3-12v lithium batteries or stay with 6-6v lithium config? should i purchase 300amp hr lithiums or less? thx for your input.
I don't think you're going to be able to do either. The problem with lithium ion batteries in a golf cart is the amp draw the cart demands.

There are lots of lithium ion batteries that can store the equivalent amount of energy of a lead acid battery, but they can't deliver the high amps that the lead acid can.. and that's the biggest limiting factor... and on a 36 volt golf cart, your amp draw is going to be even larger than it is on my 48 volt cart.

You can put a lithium ion battery in a golf cart that has twice the energy storage of your lead acid cells, but if the lithium battery is only capable of delivering a max of 50 amps of current, then its not going to work.

You need both the energy storage, and the ability for high amp draws. This means the cells are either very large, or you have to use multiple cells in parallel... and the one thing you want to stay away from is having multiple BMS's.

I have not seen an easy "drop in replacement" lithium battery for a golf cart that works, other than the units that are specifically manufactured for golf carts.. and most of those drop in replacements are junk as well..

Its better to swap out your motor and controller for something that can reach into the 70 volt range.. The higher voltage results in fewer amps.. and I believe there is one golf cart battery manufacturer who sells the higher voltage drop in replacements.

I bought a 36 volt gator max drop in battery from big battery. 5 KWh. Works awesome. Better performance than my old trojans and cut my cart ? weight about 300 pounds to boot ?!

I have a 64v Stealth 4x4 Golf Cart I want to convert to Lithium batteries. I'm totally new to this type of stuff so bear with me. From what I have read, most 12v lithium battery packs are actually 12.8v. Does this mean I can actually use five of these 12.8v batteries hooked up in series and it work for my 64V cart? If so, Does anyone have any suggestions on the best 12.8v battery to use for this cart? Also does the same logic hold true for the 24v meaning they are actually 25.6v and I could use two of these and one 12.8v hooked up in series?
Did you ever figure it out? I am in the same boat as you. Did the 5 12.8 volt batteries work for the 64v setup?

Back