diy solar

diy solar

How to create quick disconnect for parallel 48V batteries in golf cart straight to AIO inverter as battery storage?

BrandonW

I've been a longtime lurker, but I can't find the answer to this. If you can redirect me I apologize for this post.

I'm thinking of putting an AIO inverter with grid pass through to sub panel in garage. I would like to upgrade my golf cart to a Polaris Ranger EV and put at least 2 100aH 48V batteries in it (Probably the $999 EG4 ones). I was thinking this would also serve as the battery back up for that sub panel through the AIO. I could use the 30% tax credit off the new panels, AIO, and batteries for this small system, and get a nice lithium upgrade to a ranger. I would park the golf cart near the sub panel and plug it into the AIO to charge, and then while the Polaris is not being drove around, use the battery storage (maybe set it's threshold to 50% so it could always been driven) to power the subpanel after dark. The AIO would obviously have grid pass through/assist, for when battery is low and when it's disconnected.

So my question is, is there an easy way to create a 1awg plug system to easily connect and disconnect the 48V? Or is there a major flaw in my idea that will keep it from working in the first place?

Thank you for any help.

The issue I see is how angry will the AIO get when you yank the plug to the battery?

Would the AIO have its own battery on top of the golf cart? If so, just tie in a breaker off the battery, run a fat cable out of it to a hefty Anderson connector, and install the same size Anderson's on the golf cart. That's how forklifts do it all the time, unplug from the machine and plug into the charger. In your case it would be unplug from golf cart, plug into AIO and turn on breaker.

I've been a longtime lurker, but I can't find the answer to this. If you can redirect me I apologize for this post.

I'm thinking of putting an AIO inverter with grid pass through to sub panel in garage. I would like to upgrade my golf cart to a Polaris Ranger EV and put at least 2 100aH 48V batteries in it (Probably the $999 EG4 ones). I was thinking this would also serve as the battery back up for that sub panel through the AIO. I could use the 30% tax credit off the new panels, AIO, and batteries for this small system, and get a nice lithium upgrade to a ranger. I would park the golf cart near the sub panel and plug it into the AIO to charge, and then while the Polaris is not being drove around, use the battery storage (maybe set it's threshold to 50% so it could always been driven) to power the subpanel after dark. The AIO would obviously have grid pass through/assist, for when battery is low and when it's disconnected.

So my question is, is there an easy way to create a 1awg plug system to easily connect and disconnect the 48V? Or is there a major flaw in my idea that will keep it from working in the first place?

Thank you for any help.

Just be aware colors only match with each other so keep them the same (grey, black or red).

Would the AIO have its own battery on top of the golf cart? If so, just tie in a breaker off the battery, run a fat cable out of it to a hefty Anderson connector, and install the same size Anderson's on the golf cart. That's how forklifts do it all the time, unplug from the machine and plug into the charger. In your case it would be unplug from golf cart, plug into AIO and turn on breaker.
I thought about having a battery constantly connected to the AIO, and then have the disconnect/connection to the bus bar. But haven't I read that is not ideal for overall battery health with they are all being discharged/recharged not in unison? Since the golf cart batteries could come in at 25% while the permanent battery could be at 100%, do the modern bms/serial connectors handle these scenarios?

Thank you for your response.

I just ordered that $999 ($1200 shipped) EG4 48v / 100ah battery for my golf cart and was thinking of doing the exact same thing using my Victron Multiplus and Ruixu server rack battery system. The golf cart is usually parked in the garage just a few feet away from the Victron system, so it would be nice to have them all working together.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get it done...

The issue I see is how angry will the AIO get when you yank the plug to the battery?
This is an answer I need! Could you put a DC disconnect switch, plug in with an Anderson connector, and then switch the DC connector back on? Is it hot swappable and the AIO will recognize the battery and keep on humming along?

This is an answer I need! Could you put a DC disconnect switch, plug in with an Anderson connector, and then switch the DC connector back on? Is it hot swappable and the AIO will recognize the battery and keep on humming along?
I’ve asked this a few times lately and there doesn’t seem to be any way to limit the charge current.

Back