diy solar

diy solar

7-Pin Amps to Trailer

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
I've seen all kinds of claims, 3-4a all the way up to 25a.

2022 F350D, towing a 5th wheel, solar input current was shut off, so the only source of energy was from 7 pin going into the battery. i intentionally ran the 5th wheel Lithium battery banks down pretty far. I have dual alternators, but don't recall the total alternator capacity.

While on the freeway, 68 mph, the 5th wheel battery bank was receiving 15.5a

The difference in claims can vary a LOT.

The number one reason I'm not a fan of charging through the 7 pin is most of the time the wire is not large enough to carry the amperage, so there is a ton of voltage sag from your alternator to the RV battery. Some trucks do better than others. I bet my old 96 F350 is in the 3-5amp range lol.

The difference in claims can vary a LOT.

The number one reason I'm not a fan of charging through the 7 pin is most of the time the wire is not large enough to carry the amperage, so there is a ton of voltage sag from your alternator to the RV battery. Some trucks do better than others. I bet my old 96 F350 is in the 3-5amp range lol.
It was an interesting experiment. I actually expected lower. My 5er wiring from 7-pin looks like a rats nest.

Was the LiFePO4 battery bank connected directly to the 7-pin circuit? Or, was there a DC-DC charger in the circuit?

Most Super Duty diesel trucks with dual alternators are going to have a maximum amp rating of around 397 amps. But that doesn't mean that many amps are available to the towing circuit which goes through a 30 amp relay from what I understand. 15 amps isn't much, but it isn't zero either. It would be interesting to see the voltage from the 7-pin circuit as observed on the trailer side as close to the battery bank as possible.

Was the LiFePO4 battery bank connected directly to the 7-pin circuit? Or, was there a DC-DC charger in the circuit?

Most Super Duty diesel trucks with dual alternators are going to have a maximum amp rating of around 397 amps. But that doesn't mean that many amps are available to the towing circuit which goes through a 30 amp relay from what I understand. 15 amps isn't much, but it isn't zero either. It would be interesting to see the voltage from the 7-pin circuit as observed on the trailer side as close to the battery bank as possible.
Only 7 pin.

Didn't measure the voltage, and the 7 pin runs through the original 5th wheel wiring which has proven itself to be suspect. Hoping to make that a project this summer to fix it. 7 pin on the truck is fused to 30a.

Only 7 pin.

Didn't measure the voltage, and the 7 pin runs through the original 5th wheel wiring which has proven itself to be suspect. Hoping to make that a project this summer to fix it. 7 pin on the truck is fused to 30a.

Why wouldn't it get 15 amps?

If it shorts in the trailer, it will pop the 25-30 amp fuse on the truck right?

So why would it be inconceivable that it would get 15 amps or about 200 watts?

Why wouldn't it get 15 amps?

If it shorts in the trailer, it will pop the 25-30 amp fuse on the truck right?

So why would it be inconceivable that it would get 15 amps or about 200 watts?
I did get 15a in the trailer. Truck is fused to 30a... So theoretically, I would expect to see 25a. There's a rat nest between trailer 7 pin wires and trailer wires. I've seen enough wiring issues in the trailer to suspect another poor connection somewhere.

Back