diy solar

diy solar

960Watt, 24Volt Van System Question

tick

Greetings, what do you all think? 24 volt system, 3 panels wired in parallel. This comes out to 64.8Volts with 18 amps so the 50/100 MPPT is sufficient correct? Any other ideas welcome and helps out a noob in need of reassurance:)

--3 320watt panels in parallel
STC Power Rating 320W
PTC Power Rating 294.8W 1
STC Power per unit of area 18.2W/ft2 (196.2W/m2)
Peak Efficiency 19.62%
Power Tolerances -3%/+5%
Number of Cells 96
Imp 5.86A
Vmp 54.7V
Isc 6.24A
Voc 64.8V
NOCT 45°C
Temp. Coefficient of Power -0.38%/K
Temp. Coefficient of Voltage -0.177V/K
Series Fuse Rating 15A
Maximum System Voltage 600V

--Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 Solar Charge Controller

--150Ah 24volt batteries/daly BMS

--Giandel 2000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter

Greatly appreciate anyone that can confirm my math on this one, love the forum thanks will and everyone that helps out!!!

Will the batteries be in a place that gets to freezing temps? If so the daly may not be the best answer.

Will the batteries be in a place that gets to freezing temps? If so the daly may not be the best answer.

Adding an external temp sensor to the victron MPPT was my thought on this. Have not seen any good 24Volt BMS's with temp sensors in my searching.

[QUOTE="Bob142, post: 60329, member: 1794"
Using Victron's Excel sizing tool and ignoring the confusing Kelvin-based temp coefficients, it looks like you're good to go with the Victron 100/50. [/QUOTE]

Sweet. Thanks for the confirmations. Ill check out the tool haven't seen that

Last edited:
Im really happy this will work out. Wont have room on the roof for max air fan though, Has anyone heard of someone putting it in the floor? That would be Max Stealthy but probably good reason why haven't seen it before. Ive seen them put in back door. That wouldn't be a Little obvious of whats going on inside haha

Last edited:
Have not seen any good 24Volt BMS's with temp sensors in my searching.
I have played with this one that @Will Prowse featured in a video a while back. It has low temp cut-off and seems to work well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192880341024

However, there are recent reports on the forum of bad customer experience with ICGOGOGO. You might search for the same one from a different vendor.

Note: The prevailing wisdom is to run these type of BMSs at 50-60% of their rating. That means you should opt for the 300A version.

What does running 24v do for you? Im also curious as to why you need 3 of those panels. Just in case youre just trying to run normal stuff; fridge, lights, etc 2 will more than suffice and you can have your roof vents. IMO roof vents are extremely valuble.

What does running 24v do for you? Im also curious as to why you need 3 of those panels. Just in case youre just trying to run normal stuff; fridge, lights, etc 2 will more than suffice and you can have your roof vents. IMO roof vents are extremely valuble.

I think Ive devised a way to get 2 fans into the floor. My plan is to Well Foam insulate my living area, and then be able to kick on a low watt air conditioner for a few hours a day if needed. other than that its overkill but its so cheap to add one more and who knows, maybe i can rent out or donate a powerline to the less fortunate hahaha

And then on top of that, Cut the sides off ladders and mount them around the panels, To make a super stealth design. The dimensions of the panels work out perfect to make this happen. Would just look like 2 sets of ladders on the top with no dead giveaway fan poking out.

EDIT: and oh the 24 Volt decision was purely made on Will's 24 volt cheap system video. Seems easy enough and have plenty of volts on top

Last edited:
I think Ive devised a way to get 2 fans into the floor. My plan is to Well Foam insulate my living area, and then be able to kick on a low watt air conditioner for a few hours a day if needed. other than that its overkill but its so cheap to add one more and who knows, maybe i can rent out or donate a powerline to the less fortunate hahaha

And then on top of that, Cut the sides off ladders and mount them around the panels, To make a super stealth design. The dimensions of the panels work out perfect to make this happen. Would just look like 2 sets of ladders on the top with no dead giveaway fan poking out.

EDIT: and oh the 24 Volt decision was purely made on Will's 24 volt cheap system video. Seems easy enough and have plenty of volts on top

Ok I didnt know you wanted to run an AC.

Not to derail your thread but just curious if you are trying to stay around town for work or whatever? I ask because I hear many newbs that plan to boondock/travel and want to be "stealth" when 99% of the time its wildly easier and safer to just overnight where its allowed.

Last edited:
Back