diy solar

diy solar

99 Yinlong motorhome bank

Brendon

Hey guys, am new here. Am building a motorhome at the min and just constructed a Yinlong bank. 11s9p. It has a 1.4mR internal resistance and should be able to dump out 90kW if needed (doubtful) due to low internal resistance, it likely has a short circuit potential of a bit over 20,000A. Main reason I chose these cells is due to their claimed safety and lifespan. (20,000 cycles). I will put the build up on youtube probably in a month or so if yr interested to see more detail. 20191227_160938.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of LTO cells. How much did that set you back?

Did you buy the cells and build this yourself? Very impressive.

Very interesting!! What other components will you be using? Please share your thought more on why LTO and not LiFePO4. Do you know the weight difference between your cells and a comparable LFP bank?

Did you test the cells for capacity and what do you plan to do about balancing. Nice rack I was contemplating something similar but planned on joining cells directly together with couplers. you found a nice way to save some space as 11 S gets long.

Very interesting!! What other components will you be using? Please share your thought more on why LTO and not LiFePO4. Do you know the weight difference between your cells and a comparable LFP bank?
I have one of those cheap bluetooth bms systems. Seems to have loads of options. Balancing at 200mA... will take some time to figure out if it's good enough. While I think LiFePO4 is a great chemistry... there are a few reasons I went with LTO. LTO appears on the surface to be a more robust chemistry, they have a significantly higher cycle life, they don't seem to give a shit about the temperature (don't need battery heaters etc) and although I think the PO4 is a safe chemistry, I think LTO is slightly safer.
With regards to weight... I dont care that much since my camper is 12 tonnes. However, a friend of mine has a 4kWh LiFePO4 which is pretty much bang on half the weight of my 9kWh LTO, so although they are considered the lowest energy density of the lithium chemistries, it seems to be reasonable.

Did you test the cells for capacity and what do you plan to do about balancing. Nice rack I was contemplating something similar but planned on joining cells directly together with couplers. you found a nice way to save some space as 11 S gets long.
Will see what sort of job my bms does at balancing. I didnt test all of them, but tested quite a few. All of them came in at over 40Ah. Attached is one of my discharge curves.A001 Discharge curve.PNG

I have one of those cheap bluetooth bms systems. Seems to have loads of options. Balancing at 200mA... will take some time to figure out if it's good enough. While I think LiFePO4 is a great chemistry... there are a few reasons I went with LTO. LTO appears on the surface to be a more robust chemistry, they have a significantly higher cycle life, they don't seem to give a shit about the temperature (don't need battery heaters etc) and although I think the PO4 is a safe chemistry, I think LTO is slightly safer.
With regards to weight... I dont care that much since my camper is 12 tonnes. However, a friend of mine has a 4kWh LiFePO4 which is pretty much bang on half the weight of my 9kWh LTO, so although they are considered the lowest energy density of the lithium chemistries, it seems to be reasonable.
Ok, then weight isn’t a issue ?
I just discovered that LTO is now also available as prismatic cells, perhaps that’ll make the chemistry more popular when they get more widely available. Really good batteries for us that live in freezing temperatures.
What charging system will you use for your rig? Is the charging profile different then for LiFePO4 or can you use equipment with default settings for LFP?

I charge to 2.8 v per cell then float at 2.6 V per cell they seem to drop to about 2.6 on their own after settling when off of charger. Manufacturer told me I could bulk at 1.9. I'm just being cautious

I will put the build up on youtube probably in a month or so if yr interested to see more detail.
Checked some of your videos. You are good at your work Brandon!
What line of work do you originally belong? Would be interested to see how this Power Bank takes up the shape.
TC

Last edited:
Checked some of your videos. You are good at your work Brandon!
What line of work do you originally belong? Would be interested to see how this Power Bank takes up the shape.
TC
Link to the videos? I would love to see more!

Back